Sennheiser HD 380 PRO or HD 25-1 II?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I've recently been set on getting a pair of decent phones and building a nice amp to go along with them. I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II due to the good stuff I've read about them around forums etc and because I'll be using them for a bit of recording/monitoring work as well as for pleasure.
Was looking at similarly priced phones on the Sennheiser website and came across the HD280 and HD380 PRO. While most of the reviews I've read say the 25-1 II sounds better than the 280 PRO, I couldn't find much comparing them with the newer 380 PRO.
What got my attention was that the stats seem similar for the two but the HD 380 PRO which is cheaper actually has a wider frequency response.
Also, I'd prefer a full circum-aural set such as the 380 to supra-aural (25-1 II).
Anyone have any experience/ opinions? I'm open to other suggestions.
Cheers

I own the 25-1 II's and feel they're great phones in not only the DJ world, but for pleasure as well. Since there are countless number of positive reviews, I'll keep this short and just reflect my opinion to your question. If you're doing a bit of recording/monitoring you may not find these comfortable as their high pressure on the ears makes them uncomfortable after a short while. I have heard the Beyerdinamic 770DT's and they are miles more comfy and sound very very clear throughout their entire frequency range. You may try looking into some of their products as well for the long-term monitoring/recording. They're not a DJ headphone, however, as they don't fold in the best manner for a DJ and the cans aren't as transport friendly as the 25-1 II's. Hope this helps :)

Hey crescendo, thanks for they reply.
In terms of recording/monitoring, I'm not too worried about comfort of the phones, I'm pretty tolerant of that kind of stuff. One thing I'm not too sure about is the fact that the 25-1's are on ear as opposed to circumaural, I think I'd probably prefer circumaural although again its not a dealbreaker for the 25-1's.
I've also realized that I don't necessarily need closed back either, and from what I've read open back phones generally have better sound which is leading me to consider HD598's and similar models, any opinion on those?
The 770DT's are interesting, they look better than the 25-1's and look a hell of a lot more comfortable but they don't seem to have the massively positive reviews that the 25-1's have in terms of sound quality, which is probably my key issue. But they're definitely something to think about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.