help repairing a lowther

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there,
i have a lowther PM6A 70s vintage and the wire from the coil to the to the cone (and eventually the speaker terminals) has come loose. if i press with with my finger onto the cone where the wire is attached it works. how do i repair this. i have seen a japanese site where this is discussed but cannot make head or tail of the google translation. apparently this is a commonish problem. does anyone have any info?

it is just the lead. i have tried soldering. didnt burn the cone but it would not take - perhaps the aluminum wire? will try with another iron and acid core solder i believe that is what one uses for aluminum. i have also seen a product that is used to repair pcb tracks - a sort of paint that is conductive that seems safer to try. i read somewhere that this is a particular lowther issue so hoping someone would enlighten me if there is a specific way to repair it.
thanks for the reply digits, i dont think a normal speaker repair place could fix a lowther - they have double wound coils, both inside and outside of the former.

Don't use acid core solder. It will slowly destroy things. Soldering old aluminum has never worked for me. If you want to try, you have to use a bit of lye dissolved in water to first clean the aluminum and then be sure no solution ever touches the cone and all is cleaned off of every other surface. The use a solder alloy designed for aluminum.

The double voice coil has been used by quite a few folks.

The toughest standards for a recone facility to meet are those of JBL. So look for someplace that is certified by them if you give up.

My cost on a 2 ounce tube of speaker glue is $7.00! It is special stuff, but you should be able to buy some on the internet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.