• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lineamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What gain and output impedance are you shooting for?

Taking the load directly off the voltage amplifier plate can compromise the performance unless the plate resistance is really low and there are minimal reactances in the load (e.g., very short, low capacitance cables). You also want to cathode bias to be considerably higher to avoid distortion from grid current. Why do you have an 80k resistor in series with the volume control?

It's easy to make the circuit nearly immune to power supply issues if you don't want to have to deal with overly elaborate regulation.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I use Salas High Voltage shunt regulator

188092d1284634667-simplistic-mosfet-hv-shunt-regs-sshvopt.gif

As heaters I use Rod Coleman

1. I want to know if I can use the reg directly to the anode but I measured only 40VDC after Rp 15K directly to anode

2. What's the difference objective & subjective to use or not to use optional input resistor 80K.

3. Other better way (less noise) as catode bias: led, active bias, etc.

Now the sound is full & rich I only need a little bit more definition.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What gain and output impedance are you shooting for?

Taking the load directly off the voltage amplifier plate can compromise the performance unless the plate resistance is really low and there are minimal reactances in the load (e.g., very short, low capacitance cables). You also want to cathode bias to be considerably higher to avoid distortion from grid current. Why do you have an 80k resistor in series with the volume control?

It's easy to make the circuit nearly immune to power supply issues if you don't want to have to deal with overly elaborate regulation.

Well about gain the maximum without distorsion & the low output impedance possible:D

I use this schematic because it's easy to do but I'm open to other schematics using the same tubes 6922/ECC88 to have a better perfomance.

The 80k resistor is just knocking your gain down without contributing anything except a little noise.

Taking your B+ directly to the plate eliminates distortion. It also eliminates signal. :D If it were me, I'd stick a green LED in the cathode circuit (getting rid of the RC that you have there), increase the grid stopper to 1k, use a CCS plate load, then buffer the output. This approach will sharply reduce distortion and greatly increase power supply rejection.

If your load is a high impedance and cables are short, you can get away without the buffer. Output Z will be 2k or so. With the buffer, output Z will be about 10 times lower.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Something around 2V forward drop, so a green led as SIY suggests. Current doesn't matter; a normal 3 or 5mm led will do nicely. Don't over-think this one.

Look up what a 'cathode follower' is and how to design one.

Cheapest 2V green LED you can find. I bought mine at Radio Shack.

The ECC88 works great for a buffer. With an LED bias and CCS plate load, it also makes a superbly linear voltage amplifier.

Thanks, I'm newbie could you suggest me or link me to a good schematic of cathode follower?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.