Effect from front baffle material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The problem with aluminum and (most metals) is they have little or no intenal damping so they will tend to resonate (usually in the audible range). So, eventhough he may be adding stiffness, he will also need to effectively damp the aluminum plate so it doesn't resonate.

If the aluminum is bolted down or adhered so it doesn't rattle, the internal damping is irrelevant.

The issue with baffle materials isn't softness, it's acoustic absorbance versus reflectance. That's why felt and open-cell elastomeric foams are so popular; they won't necessarily improve sound, but they will certainly change it.

The little pyramids are mostly for show. They may have some effect in the 10-20K octave, but that's of relatively little importance- and the tweeter will be pretty beamy at that point so that the baffle won't have much effect anyway.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Timn8ter said:
So if a material like aluminum on the front baffle does not adversely effect the sound what is the benefit of using a soft material as I've seen done?
It may very well have an adverse effect on the sound, or it may not, depending on how it is implemented. A stand alone aluminum plate will ring (resonate), you know what that sounds like. When installed as a speaker baffle, the ringing will need to be damped to an inaudible level. This is not as easy as it may appear on the surface.

Oscar said:
And what about reflections? Might the sound waves that are reflected off the front baffle behave differently whether it's wood or aluminum? Or as in my speakers' case, little plastic pyramids...
The aluminum will reflect the sound just as wood or plastic. It presents a smooth hard surface for the wave to form. Sometimes this is desired, sometimes not. Your speakers have some sound damping material attached to the baffle. This is typically to "control" unwanted reflected sound at certain frequencies. The designer must have found that the reflected sound was a problem so he tried to eliminate it, or the marketing dept. came in and said "these little pyramids on the front would look cool".:cannotbe:

roddyama said:
Your speakers have some sound damping material attached to the baffle.
or the marketing dept. came in and said "these little pyramids on the front would look cool".

Yeah, I guess it's mostly for show. Still, the B&W Matrix 3 are a fairly serious set of speakers.

SY said:
Rodd, the wording of the original question implied (to me, anyway) that the aluminum wasn't a "stand-alone" but was being attached to an existing baffle.

Correct. It would be a normal MDF box and then a flat aluminum plate would be bolted onto it, only for looks. So, if he managed to attach it very tightly so it will resonate in inaudible frequencies, there wouldn't be a problem?

Next question then, how to attach? Using lots of bolts maybe could work? But that might cause diffraction since you then have stuff sticking out, right? Glue? (Lots of it.)

SY said:
Screws can be rebated or countersunk.

But that requires a really thick aluminum plate, right? I think it will only be 2 mm thick.

SY said:
I'd also use some sort of gasket between the Al and the wood, preferably an adhesive. If you have access to 3M 468 sheet adhesive, it could serve very nicely. If not, a very thin sheet of elastomer will prove to be beneficial.

Thank you for the tip. I'll forward it to my friend.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SY said:
Rodd, the wording of the original question implied (to me, anyway) that the aluminum wasn't a "stand-alone" but was being attached to an existing baffle. But I may have read it wrong, in which case you're 100% right. Unless the aluminum is honeycomb...
Sy,

Yep, I knew that.;) It was an example of the resonate nature of metal plates.

Oscar said:

Yeah, I guess it's mostly for show. Still, the B&W Matrix 3 are a fairly serious set of speakers.
Yes they are. I would suspect that, since we're talking about the woofer in the case of your B&W's, that the absorbing material will help to reduce baffle edge reflections as well as make the speaker look cool.:cool:

Oscar said:

Correct. It would be a normal MDF box and then a flat aluminum plate would be bolted onto it, only for looks. So, if he managed to attach it very tightly so it will resonate in inaudible frequencies, there wouldn't be a problem?

Next question then, how to attach? Using lots of bolts maybe could work? But that might cause diffraction since you then have stuff sticking out, right? Glue? (Lots of it.)
IMO I wouldn't use metal in speaker construction, but that's besides the point. If I did, and partiularly if I had to mount the tweeter on the metal baffle, I would have as much of the plate bolted and bonded to MDF or high damping plastic as possible.

As you stiffen the baffle (metal in this case) the resonant frequency will rise into the tweeters range. The tweeter cone requires very little movement to output signifcant sound levels. For this reason small vibrations in the metal baffle can have a signifcant effect on the frequency response of the tweeter.

Although the metal will "ring" that effect is only really pronounced when you suspend the sheet like a chime. If you bond it evenly to the baffle, it is likely that the material will be effectively deadened. Edge diffraction is another issue and may be reduced by bevelling the edge of the aluminum sheet with a router or sander.

That said, what about using a thin even layer of silicone adhesive to provide additional damping between the aluminum and MDF. A layer of 3M Super 90 spray adhesive may also provide the same effect.

:)ensen.

roddyama said:
Yes they are. I would suspect that, since we're talking about the woofer in the case of your B&W's, that the absorbing material will help to reduce baffle edge reflections as well as make the speaker look cool.:cool:

Well, they surround the tweeters as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

roddyama said:
IMO I wouldn't use metal in speaker construction, but that's besides the point. If I did, and partiularly if I had to mount the tweeter on the metal baffle, I would have as much of the plate bolted and bonded to MDF or high damping plastic as possible.

No, it's not besides the point. Please, if you care to tell us I would gladly hear your reasons for not using metal in speakers. The resonant behaviour of the material?

purplepeople said:
Edge diffraction is another issue and may be reduced by bevelling the edge of the aluminum sheet with a router or sander.

I've read that for bevelling to have any effect worth mentioning (even though we're talking with audiophiles here...) you need to take away a lot, the width more than a centimeter. That's not feasible when we're talking about a metal sheet.

It would be a normal MDF box and then a flat aluminum plate would be bolted onto it...
I think it will only be 2 mm thick.

I've read that for bevelling to have any effect worth mentioning (even though we're talking with audiophiles here...) you need to take away a lot, the width more than a centimeter. That's not feasible when we're talking about a metal sheet.

I don't know how flexible an aluminium sheet of that thickness is, but it seems you may be able to create a large radius curve on the mdf and then bend the aluminium around it.

Vikash said:
I don't know how flexible an aluminium sheet of that thickness is, but it seems you may be able to create a large radius curve on the mdf and then bend the aluminium around it.
Well, there's an aluminum sheet of 0.5mm thickness available from the same source. That should work fine, shouldn't it?

However, making holes for the drivers might be a bit tricky to get right perhaps. I don't know about these things, I'm just a computer geek who happens to like music... :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Oscar said:

However, making holes for the drivers might be a bit tricky to get right perhaps.

If you have the holes already cut, it's easy. Cut the rough hole in the ally, slightly undersize, and then just use a bearing guided laminate trimmer bit in your router to even up the edges when thr glue is dry.

I don't know about these things, I'm just a computer geek who happens to like music... :)

Hey, I'm a stage lighting designer!:D

pm / likes little pyramids...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Oscar said:

Well, they surround the tweeters as well.
I was wrong to infer that baffle edge reflection will only affect the woofer range of the spectrum. The full audible range can be affected by baffle edge effects. Whether or not this is the reason for B&W’s use of the absorbing material is purely conjecture on my part.
Oscar said:
No, it's not besides the point. Please, if you care to tell us I would gladly hear your reasons for not using metal in speakers. The resonant behaviour of the material?
These are my thought on using a metal baffle (with the possible exception of cast magnesium).
As an example, a tweeter with a diameter of 1.5” (38mm) only need to move several thousandths of an inch (.1 or .2mm) to produce relatively high outputs in the highest octave. A metal plate (I’m thinking 6mm+), even one that is held rigidly on 4 edges, can easily vibrate this much and more. If you happen to excite the resonance that will most likely be in the audible range, the vibrations can be much greater in magnitude. Now, depending on the phase and frequency being reproduced by the driver mounted on that baffle, those vibrations will add or subtract from the effective cone movement.

One could go through all the math required to determine what the actual effects will be, but basically you will have introduced a hi-Q notch filter into the overall response of the speaker. It’s much easier just to make the baffle from a well damped material and cover it with a metal plate for show.

roddyama said:
One could go through all the math required to determine what the actual effects will be, but basically you will have introduced a hi-Q notch filter into the overall response of the speaker.
Forgive my poor electrics skills, but what does the Q mean? My elecronics learning book says "A quality factor describing how closely a practical coil or capacitor approaches the characteristics of an ideal component." Umn, different things, right?

Notch filters I know though. I work with them every day :)

roddyama said:
It’s much easier just to make the baffle from a well damped material and cover it with a metal plate for show.
That was, and still is, the idea. And to cure the problems involved with that, you clamp the plate tightly to the baffle and add absorbing materials in between I take it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.