• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Meng Yayi KT88 MonoBlock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought a pair of these and am quite pleased with them, good seperation, but the sound is a liitle dull compared with my old quad 405 so as with all chinese tube amps I feel there is a better amp lurking inside!

Does anyone have a schematic for these? Or, any experiance of mods for them. Lampizator hasn't done them yet....

Pete

Hello my friend! Do you have a schmatic of the 2 monblocks or you can give a schematic the upgrades.you did? Best regards, Fernando Roque

Hey,
I recently brought this amp. The initial sound was bad.Did lot of changes, replaced KT88 with EL34 then changed LTP splitter to Cathodyne . Finally I tried phase splitter from Magnavox Paraphase 15 wpc P-P Amplifier , boy I hit a jackpot, just try it you will be amazed at the sound quality!.

Regards,
Santosh Bhandiwad

sgbhandi,

Do you have a digital scope with an FFT function, or do you have a computer that has a sound-card and software to do spectrum analysis?
Or, do you have a friend nearby who has either one of those?

I would be interested in what the relative levels of the 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion products of your modified amplifier are.

Just a guess, but I bet your original unmodified amplifier had dominant 3rd harmonic distortion; and I bet your modified amplifier may have dominant 2nd harmonic distortion.

Let us know if you can perform the test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.