Speaker Design Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay I know this question gets asked a lot but I'm looking for one with a specific feature:

I'm looking for one that will let you give an input to (say, a square wave) to a virtual speaker and then give you an estimate of what a microphone outside the speaker would measure.

Are there any that can do this?

Any simulation program that will give you an impulse response would work. Then convolve the impulse response with your desired waveform. Or you could take a simulated frequency response and do an inverse FFT to get the impulse response, then convolve it. I'd use Matlab to do that processing, but you could do it in Excel if you really wanted to.

Any simulation program that will give you an impulse response would work. Then convolve the impulse response with your desired waveform. Or you could take a simulated frequency response and do an inverse FFT to get the impulse response, then convolve it. I'd use Matlab to do that processing, but you could do it in Excel if you really wanted to.

Okay, I know how to do that in MATLAB.

So what program would be best to use for doing this?

What do you want to do? Measure drivers' responses and then simulate a crossover? Many programs do this. Simulate a driver from scratch by specifying all the components? I'd use something like Finecone or ANSYS. Then take that response into a typical crossover design program to design a crossover and get a system response. Maybe you could get better help if you told us why you wanted to do this. If you just want to figure out how various systems modify various time waveforms, you might be better off just creating various fictitious frequency responses in Matlab and then going from there.

I think that without measurements the level of performance you seem to be looking for is unrealistic. There are soo many different aspects of speaker design to account for that what I think you want (data sheet to perfect speaker) is a bit further into the future.

Things change quick so check back next week :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.