Alpair 12 on sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm curious, with a +10 dB published boost to the sibilance BW referenced to our peak hearing BW, do other folks with any Tinnitus find such a response much too 'tinny' [for lack of a better description] to be enjoyable?

GM

I've recently been swapping various models of Alpairs in my HT system that gets a couple of hours use nightly, and currently have A12s for mains and A7 for center - and don't find them problematic for this application - but then it's not used much for music alone.

GM

Joined 2003
I've recently been swapping various models of Alpairs in my HT system that gets a couple of hours use nightly, and currently have A12s for mains and A7 for center - and don't find them problematic for this application - but then it's not used much for music alone.

Not surprising if cinema mixed movie LCR content with its rolled off HF above 2 kHz is still being transferred to DVD intact which would be ~flattened out by the A12's rising response. Makes me wonder if it's predominately for HT apps.

GM

Not surprising if cinema mixed movie LCR content with its rolled off HF above 2 kHz is still being transferred to DVD intact which would be ~flattened out by the A12's rising response. Makes me wonder if it's predominately for HT apps.

GM

Well actually, most of the viewing is cable "HD" and Netflix streaming (often even lower video resolution) and I'm not sure (or frankly much concerned) about whatever EQ may be involved in the audio portion. Can that vary depending on service provider? On both the TV and music only systems, I've been much happier since abandoning extreme "philia" and simply try to relax and enjoy the program content.

But you certainly could be right - the previous Fostex speakers (FE167) sounded fine with a basic stereo amp (Rotel RB850 now used for woofers), but were more than a bit fatiguing on the Denon surround receiver.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks for the tip! I have a pair of gold ones on the way. Now I have to decide which plan to go with and finish up projects around the house.

Include the Pensil on any short list of potential designs for this driver - darn simple build, just remember to build with (at least a portion of) removable back panel. IMO crossed bracing should be considered essential on the larger enclosures in this series. .

These might be just the ticket I've been looking for to get me doing something again. Need a nice, simple build with good sound for tv / movie / music use. Just don't have the time to fully develop the high-efficiency design I'm wanting to explore (that I started about 2 years ago, ugh).

Are those using this driver happy with it's abilities? Not likely to use a higher volumes. Are people pretty happy with the overall frequency response, including the lower end? Feel the need for a sub?

Thanks much, have read some great things about the Markaudio drivers here.

Are those using this driver happy with it's abilities? Not likely to use a higher volumes. Are people pretty happy with the overall frequency response, including the lower end? Feel the need for a sub?

I have the Pencil 12 speakers and am more than happy. They are the main speakers and I have an A12 for the centre and dual A7s for the rears. They are run by a tube amp with transformer volume control for music, and a cheapish Denon receiver for HT.

I certainly don't feel the need for a sub in my current room (about 7m by 5m) as the Pencil design seems to make the most of the drivers. I used to use B&W Matrix 802 speakers and prefer the Pencils so it's not like I'm used to bookshelf type sound. There is also a "super-Pencil" design that extends the bass further but I haven't heard them. Also, I haven't heard any Pencils with internal bracing so I can't say if that is an improvment or not, but I will say that the simple build version of the Pencils is very good.

Honestly, I really can't understand the comments earlier in this thread about the A12 sounding "tinny", let alone "unlistenable". I have heard them in various cabinets (I'm lucky as I currently live in Hong Kong so get to hear some of Mark's test systems) and never would I have called them "tinny". I would say that the Pencil design makes them sound more open than a closed or ported cabinet but they have always sounded musical to me.

I have a web page with a few pictures:

My web page

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I find the shrill or harsh high's are very much related to the recording. Never a problem while listening to the FM or the phonograph. Certain cd's are fatiguing and for that I'd like to be able to throw a switch on the back of the cabinet. Installing a filter or using cat 5 cables would dampen a lot of content that didn't need it. I'm listening to EL70's BTW.

Any ideas on what value of resistor to use to mimic the dampening of cat 5 cables?

Include the Pensil on any short list of potential designs for this driver - darn simple build, just remember to build with (at least a portion of) removable back panel. IMO crossed bracing should be considered essential on the larger enclosures in this series. .
The Super Pensil was the plan I was leaning towards. It seems like a fun build and ranks high on WAF.

I've been running A12s in the Studio Reference Monitor cabinets. for a few weeks now. I don't have other enclosure references with which to compare. I've been very happy with them so far. If I had the money to spare, I'd buy some more, that price sounds great.

I was going to build the Super Pensils, but as my end goal are Clairtone style globes, I felt that it would be an unfair reference.

What I will say, is that they are very revealing of deficiencies upstream. I am certain that my amp sucks.

I've been running A12s in the Studio Reference Monitor cabinets. for a few weeks now. I don't have other enclosure references with which to compare. I've been very happy with them so far. If I had the money to spare, I'd buy some more, that price sounds great.

I was going to build the Super Pensils, but as my end goal are Clairtone style globes, I felt that it would be an unfair reference.

What I will say, is that they are very revealing of deficiencies upstream. I am certain that my amp sucks.

Any idea how much is the USPS shipping to Canada?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.