Small room, small speakers advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually listen to music through headphones in my office/workspace at home. I would like to build a small set of speakers since wearing headphones is not an option with some of my projects. The room is only 9'x11' so size is a major concern. I plan to build a gainclone for powering them. I have seen some of the small horn speakers that I really like the looks of. I can build about anything out of wood, been doing woodwork for 30 years. The main problem I have is that wood is not easy to get where I am, and what can be had is either crap or ridiculously overpriced. I can, however, get pvc pipe in about any diameter possible for free. Can you guys point me in the right direction here. This will be my first speaker project so I'm kind of overwhelmed at the options.

Small driver would use small volume, then you'd just have to get creative with the pipe.

Any limits of pipe diameter?

dave

I know I can get all the 4" pipe I want. I have good friend who is in charge of all the water system maintenance on the base here so he can get me cut-offs of just about any size they have up to I believe 20".

As for budget I would like to keep it at about $100 for drivers and connectors.

I've heard really good things abut the Audience A3 but it's way out of my price range for now.

My friend dropped off 2 4' sections of 4" pvc over the weekend. How would be the best way to mount the drivers and what length should the pipe be cut to? One thing I cannot get is fittings for the pipe so I have to make caps on my lathe. Would mounting the driver facing up in the end of the pipe work? I've also seen one done that had the driver mounted in the side in a cutout of the tube. Just trying to get some ideas as to the best way to do this.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to use the Fountek driver for this build. After that I'm starting an ESL project.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
nakedToob_tn.jpg

the toobs Mk 1

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Laying Pipe with Audio Lego

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.