audiosector lm3875 transformer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there, i have just got an audiosector amp kit as my first attempt at proper diy so a bit of a noob and i am not quite sure if the toroid is appropiate. It was salvaged from an old cambridge audio amp and is centre tapped, i read i think on decibel dungeon that this is ok with a single bridge rectifier so would this be ok with one one of the bridge's it came with, and if so where would the centre tap connect to. Any help would be much appreciated.

You need to measure the secondary voltage and it depends on the speaker impedance you will connect to the amp. If you know the output power of that old cambridge, you may estimate whether it is suitable. E.g. 50 W into 8 Ohm would mean the transformer has about the highest suitable voltage for an 8 Ohm speaker, but would probably lead to overheating with a 4 Ohm speaker. Even with an 8 Ohm speaker you may run into heatsinking issues. ~70 W into 4 Ohm would be the highest suitable voltage for a 4 Ohm load, could also create heatsinking issues, but would be just fine for 8 Ohm speakers.

Audiosector has a support section in the Forum. There should also be a contact button on the audiosector homepage. Peter Daniel has a reputation to give good support on his products.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.