Pls recommend an EBay DAC <$100 for Ipad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to connect my IPad to my cars sound system via an existing JL CL441DSP. I'll run digital out via optical cable - assuming that digital out will get me better sq than analogue out... And need to find a DAC that I can probably power with something like a Powerstream adjustable dc-dc converter.

I know very little about DACs. If I can getter better sound by getting aN eBay kitt and saving a few bucks, all the better. The rest of my system is descent quality picked up from craigslist (Boston Accoustic Pro speakers, JL sub, Alpine digital amp)

While I did some searches on this site, there is too much info and most of it is over my head. I really appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thanks!
Scott

optical cable from what? ipad has no optical output and your JL only appears to have line level input from the brochure, you can actually pull digital out directly from ipad from a limited range of usb 1.1 compliant devices that are able to supply their own power for the receiver, or have exceedingly low power consumption. these connect through the 'camera connection kit'. why bother with some dsp processor to pull a digital out and colour it in the way it sees fit, simply replacing one for another, when you can have direct digital output?

I can run a camera connection to a USB to an external DAC. Then the external DAC via optical cable to two RCAs to the JL CLEANSWEEP CL 441 DSP. The reason and I may be wrong, is that I thought an external DAC would be superior to the IPads internal DAC.
However, I'll test the line out first, it may be fine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.