energy veritas 2.2i crossover project

Hi,

If anyone is interested, I'm in the middle of upgrading the crossovers in a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2i

ERSE foil inductors in all signal paths
Mundorf Supreme resistors in all signal paths, and a few in parallel with driver
Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil for the tweeter, and midrange (12 capacitors total, (a few are paralleled to get correct value)

so here is the album, I'll be uploading pics as it goes along, thanks!!

Energy Veritas 2.2i Project - Google Photos

Related C2 Project:
energy C2 project - Google Photos

*** Google picasa is now defunct... I can only edit this 1st post, so updated album links

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nope, mine are the original 2.4's, no "i". One side has static in the tweeter in just the right circumstances, and it's driving me nuts. I reversed all the upstream components, as well as the mid/tweet module, and the static stays on the same side, so it's got to be something with the crossover.

yep, I've heard about that problem here & there on the web (also it could be the midrange), no one really had a fix-- I do know they changed the crossovers significantly going to the i's (along with beefed up bass drivers)

basically they doubled up on all the resistors & changed caps etc... to handle more power I presume ( have a stock v2.4 crossover diagram) so I could compare--

also noticed they soldered the clip-on wires to the tweeters on mine... just seems odd, the midrange & bass I can pull off

I think part of energy doing the i is to fix your problem, and to beef up the bass drivers, those were getting blown in the originals also--

sooo... were your tweeter wires soldered?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
yep, I've heard about that problem here & there on the web (also it could be the midrange), no one really had a fix-- I do know they changed the crossovers significantly going to the i's (along with beefed up bass drivers)

basically they doubled up on all the resistors & changed caps etc... to handle more power I presume ( have a stock v2.4 crossover diagram) so I could compare--

also noticed they soldered the clip-on wires to the tweeters on mine... just seems odd, the midrange & bass I can pull off

I think part of energy doing the i is to fix your problem, and to beef up the bass drivers, those were getting blown in the originals also--

sooo... were your tweeter wires soldered?

My tweeters were soldered too; it's shame this was done as a previous owner damaged the tabs on one tweeter removing the soldered connections. The connectors were re-soldered later by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I ended up wicking the solder off the tabs and changing the connectors on the wires. I also noticed one of my mid/tweet units has been replaced as it has different shaped stickers than the other.

I'd love to see what the crossovers from the 2.4i series looks like. As for driver reliability, it seems to me that 2.4's might have a better chance of being problem free than the lower models as they have three woofers to spread the work out. I guess time will tell.

I'm attaching a photo of the mid/tweet crossover which I took the other night. My first step is to replace the resistors as they're cheap. If the problem persists I'll look at changing the caps next.

Attachments

• Tweeter Board 1.jpg
    Tweeter Board 1.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 632
I'd love to see what the crossovers from the 2.4i series looks like.

I'm attaching a photo of the mid/tweet crossover which I took the other night. My first step is to replace the resistors as they're cheap. If the problem persists I'll look at changing the caps next.

attached 1 pic, plus there are some in the picasa album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/scott....2iProject?feat=directlink#5574926344948800722

they are completely different parts wise, along with a diff circuit--

I don't know if the tweet/mid modules are changed between the non-i & i ??? Does anyone know?

Attachments

• veritas_xo1.jpg
    veritas_xo1.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 367
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
From the looks of the picture, it seems that the capacitors are even cheaper than the resistors and I would have changed them first.

My tweeters were soldered too; it's shame this was done as a previous owner damaged the tabs on one tweeter removing the soldered connections. The connectors were re-soldered later by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I ended up wicking the solder off the tabs and changing the connectors on the wires. I also noticed one of my mid/tweet units has been replaced as it has different shaped stickers than the other.

I'd love to see what the crossovers from the 2.4i series looks like. As for driver reliability, it seems to me that 2.4's might have a better chance of being problem free than the lower models as they have three woofers to spread the work out. I guess time will tell.

in the tweeter crossover, what is this circled part of the circuit doing? -- why is the capacitor by-passed with a resistor? -- how much of the signal is even going through it? is it worth upgrading that cap?

I 'm going to replace it, since I already have the parts--

Attachments

• veritas_xo1_highs.jpg
    veritas_xo1_highs.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 365
I have a pair of Veritas 2.3's and Id love to upgrade the xo. The midrange is a little recessed as well as the bass.

after looking at the crossover diagrams for the 2.2i, 2.3i, 2.4i, each crossover is a little different for each high/mid module-- different resistor, cap values-- I always thought those would be the same... so energy tweaked the sound a little for each