Vebo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a concern about a transistor replacement I've made. The transistor is MPSA06, replacing the TIS97. It is configured in a differential pair on the input of the phase linear 400.

The TIS97 has a VEBO of 6 volts, the MPSA06 only 4.

Is there any concern in this application?

Thanks.

Thank you for corroboration!

I find that there is no detectable sonic difference between the two in the phase linear 400.

I'll be putting in another matched pair next week, to replace the existing mismatched differential pair of TIS97 and ECG123. Their HFE is off by 400. Which makes a DC offset of 65 mv. It's more important to reduce that.

Thanks again.

According to fairchild, the TIS97 characteristics are the same as PN100.

The Vbe(on) voltage of the MPSA06 is identical. Seems like high hfe versions of the MPSA06 are a valid substitute. Given that it's in a differential pair, the surrounding resistance is supposed to dominate anyway.

So why bother with high hfe?

As to the issue of Vebo specifically, a lower Vbeo will not be able to "stand off" as much input overload before breaking the input transistors down. This will not blow them (avalanching the EB junction will turn a transistor very hard OFF), but long term exposure to this will permanently degrade the Hfe, and possibly increase any mismatch between the pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.