Rush's Moving Pictures in surround form, on Blu-ray and dvd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like some people found this early - for example this guy listened to the dvd-audio version:

post #220

He "reviewed" it by using the surround system built into his Acura TL, though he said he will use his home system as a basis for a proper review. Btw quite a few Acura, GM models and some Infinitys and Lexus models sold in the last six years include 5.1 dvd-audio systems.

And like most dvd-audio discs, this one includes a Dolby Digital track for conventional dvd players.

Edit: another early review, near bottom of page.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to read a discussion that really gets into the details of this title's sonic and technical issues, go here:

"Rush - Moving Pictures BR 5.1" page 12

Unfortunately, according to quite a few members there and at the quadraphonicquad.com site, the surround mix is not very immersive and could be described as just "expanded stereo". :( I'm not surprised at all at this news, since I've heard that Alex Lifeson is not a believer in surround music. But for me and many other surround music fans, when we buy a release touting itself as "surround music" that's what we expect, to be s-u-r-r-o-u-n-d-e-d by music, pretty much all the time.

Examples of "full surround" mixes:

* The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
* Beck's Guero
* The Moody Blues' Seventh Sojourn on DTS-CD (uses the original quad mix from the early 70s)
* BT's This Binary Universe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.