options for turntables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
guys,
I got up to 4000USD/3000GBP to spend on a turntable (in Shanghai...), and I'm looking for options.
In Shanghai I can get Opera Consonance, the LP5.0 mk2 droplet is less than 3k GBP here. But what other options are there available in this price range (I mean up to 3k GBP)?
I know of the existence of several decks, like clearaudio, Linn, Michell, (and of course Opera Consonance).
I'm looking for a full package, so including arm, and potentially speed controller in case it's required (I don't want to start a discussion about the need for a speed controller, just as extra reference and the added benefits would do for me)

kspoory, well what flavour are you after?

Personally I'd go with an Oracle Delphi of some sort with the Oracle/SME 345 tonearm, and whatever suitable cartridge available to you locally. Oracles tend to have a sound somewhere between the typical analytical "American sound" and the musical "British sound". I guess suggestive of the Roksan Xerxes line of tables.

A used Roksan Xerxes 10 with a hot-rodded Rega or Origin Live arm would certainly be very nice. A friend has an original Xerxes with a Rega RB250, rewired with silver/teflon, and an Ortofon MC Turbo2. It is quite excellent. These items should be readily available in GB and elsewhere at reasonable prices. Upgrade the plinth on the Xerxes if you want something better.

I did a search and came up with a Xerxes w/Artemiz tonearm for £600. That would leave you a lot of money for the cartridge of your dreams, an excellent phono stage, and upgrade plinth from Roksan, and some more records.

You should also consider the Rauna/Opus Continuo and Cantus. Well within you price range and well reviewed to boot.

Anything available close to home would have an advantage, and service would be quite easy as well.

Last edited:
I cannot offer a practical answer, because it is not readily available in Shanghai. BUT anyway, I would suggest Garrard 301, with SME 309 or Series IV arm and a nice Ortofon or Goldring MC cartridge. Sourced assembled and plinthed by Loricraft near Lambourn. I have one I listen to and hidden away a brand new 301 in its original box and a spare arm awaiting the day.

On a rather larger budget, An SME turntable and arm combo.

Don't forget the cartridge

What table works best for you will depend also on your room (is the floor cement, or does it bounce alot when you or other people walk on it ((while your listening)), is it midbass heavy, overly or under damped or reflective (are you using diffusers, room tunes ((or does it need them)).
The quality of the room, and the ability to set up your listening position in the exact right spot matter more (IMHO) than the difference between $2K rigs and $5K rigs (and definitly more than exotic fixes you'll likely be able to find)
Do you have a quality preamp that does all the various cartridges.
I've got a Sota Star on a 150 lb marble plinth on a solid oaak end table mounted on concrete and it sounds superb. I've heard much more expensive rigs set up on $200 stereo racks and was not impressed, yes they sounded good, but...
In other words, what problems might your delicate turntable be faced with, what turntable will overcome those obstacles.
Some have external power supplies which would be great if you don't want an elaborate stereo rack.
You can't go wrong with Grahm tonearms ($$$) If you can set the thing up and fogetabatit, get the less expensive models. (It's been a while since I shopped this stuff, but the way I remember it, the more expensive models are great for adjusting and re adjusting the height of the tonearm etc.
Make sure your expensive turntable has a "good" armboard, I upgraded mine later and found a significant improvement much more noticeable than the upgraded phono cable
Hope this didn't turn into a rant
Paul

more options...

well the Nakamichi "Dragon CT" turntable comes to mind. The P-3 is another good one, as is the Natalis Lenco builds.

An Atma-sphere Empire style 208 would be pretty nice as well. I'd consider this if it could be converted to an idler drive, and if the top plate could be made as per the Atma-sphere build (3/4" thick).

I guess it all comes down to what may be available in Shanghai when you are able to buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.