Lowthers on sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have thought about the 5 inchers on an OB w/ a 15" woofer a few times, a very interesting idea.

But I have always wondered about the PM5X and PM7X drivers. Have lost a couple different used pairs on e-Bay over the years. So the pair of PM7C drivers on sale caught my eye. I like the C series a lot. So I am struggling to resist the temptation to pick up the PM7C drivers.

Martin

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Comparing price on commonsenseaudio (home of audio nirvana), the PM6C is cheaper than after discount on LowtherAmerica. About $150 off on the PM6A though.

Audio Nirvana folks are coming up with their own tube amp. Sadly, the price to performance ratio doesn't look to be the same as with their drivers.

The PM6A 16 ohm silver VC is Jon's favorite. His do have those utterly useless spots on them though and are the one's he used in the RMAF 2008 semi blind test.

He says he is going to put those cones on Dave Slagle's powered magnet structure's, as soon as he can get an extra pair. The only thing I have that is close in quality to mine area pair of the Alpair 7's from Mark

Bud

Martin,

I'm in the midst of your OB plans. I'd planned on FF85Ks, over Alpha 15s. Have you had any OB experience with the Lowthers? If so, how did they compare to the FF85Ks?

I'm value oriented (I suspect many DIYers are). I don't mind spending a lot of money if I perceive the value. Lowthers always seemed hard to justify.

Also, I really want to stay with a passive OX, and the efficiency of the Lowthers is daunting.

I have thought about the 5 inchers on an OB w/ a 15" woofer a few times, a very interesting idea.

But I have always wondered about the PM5X and PM7X drivers. Have lost a couple different used pairs on e-Bay over the years. So the pair of PM7C drivers on sale caught my eye. I like the C series a lot. So I am struggling to resist the temptation to pick up the PM7C drivers.

Martin

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Also, I really want to stay with a passive OX, and the efficiency of the Lowthers is daunting.

High efficiency is a good thing. Try to find higher efficiency bass drivers instead of going the other way.

You can always lower the efficiency of the Lowthers by putting a resistor in series with the driver.

Besides, with active its easier to find the sweet spot.

Martin,

I'm in the midst of your OB plans. I'd planned on FF85Ks, over Alpha 15s. Have you had any OB experience with the Lowthers? If so, how did they compare to the FF85Ks?

I'm value oriented (I suspect many DIYers are). I don't mind spending a lot of money if I perceive the value. Lowthers always seemed hard to justify.

My first OB system used a Lowther PM2A driver with two Eminence Alpha 15A woofers per side. It was huge. It required an active crossover and multiple amps. It was the best sounding speaker I have built to date. I ended up scraping the system because it was so big and removed the page from my site. My next OB speaker will use a Lowther driver and some AE Dipole 15 drivers, I am working on the design now.

The Fostex FF85K and Eminence Alpha 15A is a very nice combination if you are just starting with OBs. I have this combination in my room now and it sounds very good. It can be done with an active or a passive crossover.

Stepping up to Lowthers will improve the OB performance significantly, but it is not as easily designed as a FF85K system. The efficiency of the Lowther is going to require an active crossover and either a lot of boost to a single woofer or less boost to a pair of woofers per side. I have been jerking around trying to design my next Lowther OB system on and off for almost six months and am not quite satisfied yet. I have the wood, the drivers, but no final design.

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.