Dayton foil vs PPS cap listening test

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got around to trying the big hype PPS caps at 2uf as coupling for the direct out of my CS43122 dac. Depending who you read, the micro thin Polyphenylene Sulphide dielectric is heralded as a giant step forward in measured distortion and sound quality in the audio band. I had high hopes for them due to the extremely small size which would allow a nice 7uf stack for the bass channels of my DCX mods but I am afraid the sonics fell slightly short of the Dayton foil which is so far in my experience unsurpassed in pristine clarity and tranparency of fine detail. They will trully spoil you from all other affordable caps for values up to 3.3uf. The PPS are pretty good though. Probably on par with most of the other metalized film caps I have tried at a fraction of the size but I will have to stick with the Dayton foils for their superior sound even if they are huge.
Digi-Key - PCF1132CT-ND (Manufacturer - ECP-U1C105MA5)
Dayton Audio DFFC-0.47 0.47uF 400V By-Pass Capacitor | Parts-Express.com

Attachments

• Dayton Foil Caps.jpg
    Dayton Foil Caps.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 984
whatever they are film foils are much better than pps

thats a big and somewhat baseless call and far too general a statement. there are a number of situations where the SMD pps will outperform a 'huge' film and foil cap, especially for bypass use. PPS is not as good as far as dielectric goes (though not far behind) but the small size and surface mounting, makes the PPS a superior bypass cap, due to low inductance, small size, closer ground coupling/smaller loop area, low parasitics, less of an aerial etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.