• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Polarity Goof Consequences?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

In hooking up my IVYIII to compare to the current Legato II, I inadvertently connected the +5.5v supply from the Placid to the Buffalo the wrong way around for a few seconds. As soon as I noticed to LED's on the Buffalo or the Tridents I switched off the power.

In rewiring the correct way all the LED's on the Tridents and the Buffalo power board light up and the DAC works, however, I get the feeling in listening to it that it is not quite as good as before. All the voltages out from the shunt regs seem OK, so the opamps on the shunts are presumably OK but without published circuit diagrams I am not sure if there are any other regulator parts (polarised SMD caps?) that could be damaged by supply reversal.

Would anyone know any way of checking?

I could of course just replace the Tridents and the Buffalo daughter board, but am waiting for a response from Brian or Russ on availability of the DVCC board without the Buffalo.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Martin

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Without a schematic to look at, it's difficult to tell for sure. But it's very likely that the ESD structures of the ICs saved them from melt-down. If all the voltages are within spec, I'd say the DAC survived.

I'm guessing any perceived difference in sound quality is due to psychosomatic effects. That's my guess anyway.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.