Alp10.2 in 17literBR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Almost finished with Alpair 10.2 in 17liter ported box. I have to make som small adjustment on the outer finish!
This very revealing couple has been running with low volume for 5-6 days now. Have tried some (carefully) higher volumes - and it is a thrill to experience the openness and involvment that this couple gives!
I have made the back of the boxès removable and I have made ports in a way that it can be adjusted. My photos will demonstrate this - if you`re interrested?
Got a 10-12 fairly good photos. I will include 2 now - and I have a schetch of my building/design!

I was never expecting the Alp10.2 was to make a major leap in sound from my Fonken w/fr125sr and ERT26 - but they are making great advancement toward just that goal.

So Cowboy Junkies is just here in room when the Alp10.2 is making them stunningly alive1
Thanks again Mark!!

Olav

Attachments

• AlpOl1.jpg
    AlpOl1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 919
  • Alp10Jan1.jpg
    Alp10Jan1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 888
Yea - as wanted!

Hi!

They are made from Oak - 18 mm. In Norway they are called HobbyPlates. I think they are laminated and glued. Very stiff - and somewhat harder than birch!
Gives a very sturdy "think" sound when you knock on it! Birch is softer and a bit darker in respons!

But the sound from Alp10.2 in Oak is magnificent!

I hope my English isn`t too bad - been a while since schooldays......

Olav

Yea!

You mean I like them because they`re made of oak - or because they are perfect with acoustic music like Cowboy Junkies and Calexico?
And Cow... is from Canada - can also be an alternative!

Anyway - great sound - both from band and in such good drivers!

Greetings to all

Olav

Plans & pics

Hi to all!

Here are some more pics + the plans I made. I made the ports in 1 lenght and can tune it if I want - by adding short plates further back against the wall. The bracer on the driver is glued to the sidewalls and with additional bracers against the fasteners that the removable back is schrewed into.
Got som ideas from T.Gee`s Solo103 and the Fonken for sr125 and MarKen to Dave(Planet10). Thanks Dave!
In my living room(9 m long and 5-6 m width) the volume and dynamic is VERY good. I still don`t play very loud - family and else is some reason - but these pleasant-sounding devices fills my room like I never imagined!

One little question remains: My HarmanKardon HK980 is very dynamic(2*80W and 80 Amp) - but if I want to build an amplifier - what would that be: Tube, D, T or a hybrid?

If someone know about a brand that isn`t to expensive or to diificult - I would be very grateful!
I looked at Elekit - but the easiest to build is not for 230 V. And I don`t know if it is wise to use a converter from 230-110V? Because maybe the transformer need 110V.

All the best to everyone.

Olav

Attachments

• AlpOl.jpg
    AlpOl.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 813
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 767
  • DSC_0080 (1).jpg
    DSC_0080 (1).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 760
Hi to all!
Here are some more pics + the plans I made. I made the ports in 1 lenght and can tune it if I want - by adding short plates further back against the wall. The bracer on the driver is glued to the sidewalls and with additional bracers against the fasteners that the removable back is schrewed into.
Got som ideas from T.Gee`s Solo103 and the Fonken for sr125 and MarKen to Dave(Planet10). Thanks Dave!
In my living room(9 m long and 5-6 m width) the volume and dynamic is VERY good. I still don`t play very loud - family and else is some reason - but these pleasant-sounding devices fills my room like I never imagined!

One little question remains: My HarmanKardon HK980 is very dynamic(2*80W and 80 Amp) - but if I want to build an amplifier - what would that be: Tube, D, T or a hybrid?
If someone know about a brand that isn`t to expensive or to diificult - I would be very grateful!
I looked at Elekit - but the easiest to build is not for 230 V. And I don`t know if it is wise to use a converter from 230-110V? Because maybe the transformer need 110V.
All the best to everyone.
Olav

Hello Olav,
Firstly, many many thanks for sharing your plans and build experiences with DIY audio members. This is excellent work and in the best spirit of the DIYaudio forum - well done!

Re the amplifier question. There's allot of tube and circuit choice. So far I've tried EL34, 6V6, 300B and KT88 in various combinations. Really hard to choice between them. I'd personally suggest keeping to a tube and circuit combination that gives you 6 watts on Class A upwards if you go SET. I recently listened to Derek Shek's prototype Class D, fantastic sound. Hope he takes it into production.

Hoping guys using tubes, Gainclone, Chip amps and newer designs can comment - hope so. Anyone with solid experience also. Might by worth you making a post in the amp section of DIYaudio?
Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
a little more...

Thanks Mark!

Will try your suggestions when it is convenient.
And I have added some more pics to show how I fastened the side-panels to the baffel! With small woodsticks(like the ones that come with furnitures) - drilled holes and used strong glue, so it feels like it has more hold.

And as you can see from the other photo The Alpair is so small(maybe a Pensil next time - if we don`t move to a smaller appartment) - but the sound fills the room at 45 sqmeter even at moderate volum. Just now Golden Heart with Mark Knofler fills the space. The HK980, squeezbox touch, dacmagic is positioned in the middle!
In the other part-corner you see the Fonken(wFr125srErt26)- which is secondary today. But also very good!

Been a very nice experience - building sound thats so good!

Best to all

Best to all

Attachments

• DSC_0078 (1).jpg
    DSC_0078 (1).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0114 (1).jpg
    DSC_0114 (1).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 340
sorry - wrong info

Hi all!

Some misinformation: It is the Bottom and Top-panel that is glued to the baffel with woodsticks!! The sidepanel is glued to top/bottom/baffel after those three is fastened! And without woodsticks(more difficult to keep the holes aligned to each other)

Best to all

Olav

Flush driver & tuning

Hi there all!

Have now tuned my speakers to 43Hz, and when I`m using Stereophile TestCD I can hear relative strong output at 50Hz - and a little weaker at 40Hz. No output at 30(as expected). And the 3-dimensionality is much more improved after I made the flushmounted baffle. Like the picture show! And I made some stands from a cheap IKEA support(it costed 12 dollar). Gives a better and more distinct sound!
Now they are nearly finished - need to get a new upper plate on my stand. Oak to keep everything more even!

And the sound is very fullfilling - SingleDriver is king. (Wonder if Alp10.2 in FrugelHorn MK3 is more revealing than this?)

Maybe at a later time......

Greetings to all.

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 321
  • oval-DSC_0136.jpg
    oval-DSC_0136.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea

Nice.

Getting A10.2 in FH3 would be a challenge... the driver is wider than the box.

A7 in FH3 would give give it a run in terms of FFR.

dave

Hi Dave.

I know the driver is too wide for the FH3, but I see you are planning(in some time) to make a plan for the FrugelHorn for 6" drivers. And maybe for the Alp10.2? In time?

And I see from test about Horns (HornShoppe among them) - that they connect and influences the room in a special way.
Is that right?

So one time - maybe a horn(but preferable w/Alp10.2

Olav

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I know the driver is too wide for the FH3, but I see you are planning(in some time) to make a plan for the FrugelHorn for 6" drivers. And maybe for the Alp10.2? In time?

Yes. Heroic measures may be needed to decrease the bass. Prototypes are tentatively underway.

And I see from test about Horns (HornShoppe among them) - that they connect and influences the room in a special way.
Is that right?

Yes, the horn expansion is finished by the room boundaries

dave

Tnx Dave and Mark(for editing)

Hi again!

Thanks Dave for info. Will see then when and if the Frugel for 6" driver materialises! And thanks to Mark for editing(could have done it myself - even without Photoshop - have Picasa and PhotoFiltre) - but wanted to show the stand with speaker!
Even my wife think they look good now - earlier she fancied my Fonken with FR125sr w/ERT26 MORE than she did with my last build.
But luckily - now both Style & Sound in my 10.2 is in a special class, the flushbaffle gives it a more refined look, and it made the sound more tranparent in the room. Satisfied with the look at last!!

Best to all!

Olav

Question about the ports

Olav -- very inspiring, to me epitomizes what FR can be about. I have a question about the design of the ports.
Is there an interior baffle on the top and bottom, across the top of the sticks, that creates 3 long, narrow onken-style" tubes", top and bottom?
Thanks, John

Ports....

Hi John!

Yea - there is some kinda baffel(or a plate 200mmx150 mm - 150 is about) over the wooden sticks. So one gets 6 150 mm long and 55 mm wide ports. 3 on top over the the driver and 3 under!
I used the same oak as I used on the baffle, back and top - but I saw off some so it got 3-4mm thick.

I have photos from this also. I am offshore (Telecom in the Nothsea till next thursday) - but then I`m home for 4 week - so I can post or send more tips if some is interrested.
And I tuned it to around 43Hz cutoff - but I can hear somewhat weak output at 40Hz - so there is possibilities with making the ports longer if you take short 200mm wide plates and lay over the wooden sticks. The wooden sticks is nearly reaching the back of the box.

I`ll show you in a weeks time.

Greatings to all!

Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.