• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oscilloscope - Which one should I get ? What to look for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking into getting a oscilloscope.
I don't know how to use one and have no idea what to look for. I simply know that Tektronix is popular.

I will use it for mostly tube audio gear. I don't mind spending a little money for a good scope. I don't really care for fancy stuff.

Scopes are of limited value in audio..but are great machines to work with...& you'll probably use it alot once you know how to work it well.
The original scopes were rather large things, giant as a matter of fact in the age of tubes. With transistors they shrunk to tabletop size 18"W, 6"H, 20"D.....and still used cathode ray tubes for the display. These in my opinion are THE best. The current crop of scopes are almost exclusively liquid crystal displays.....I hate those **** things! Now we have computer interfaces & so many bells & whistles....the manuals for running them are hundreds of pages.
Scopes are broken down into how many trace channels you can have..2.3.?? and at what upper frequency they can capture. Myself, I would get a "basic" two channel, 20 Mega-hertz, and Cathode ray tube display.........they aren't cheap new, but the full gizmo versions can get way out there in $$$. Besides if you want to show someone your scope readings a decent D/Camera will get you a scope image for all to share....don't need all that computerized junk.

_____________________________________________________Rick......

I couldn't agree more with the above post (Richard's). But learn how they work so you can check it out before you cart it home. Particularly check the trigger function. Scopes are difficult and dangerous to work on (you need a scope to fix a scope; 1.6KV power supply). Look at the 400 series from TEK. I have been through several different scopes and I wouldn't part with my TEK 453. There should be plenty of good used scopes around Austin.

+1 for the 20mHz dual channel.

Cheap and easy to use (comparatively) and learn on. When you get proficient and/or feel the need, step up to a faster unit.

Get one with a good history - they are not worth fixing at that level so unless the seller can show you it working and explain its functions clearly and tell you its history, steer clear.

Scopes are of limited value in audio..but are great machines to work with...& you'll probably use it alot once you know how to work it well.
<snip>

Limited use but you'll use it a lot? I disagree with most everything here - except you'll use it a lot. If I could have a Digital Phosphor O scope at home I'd have it but the price is insane for home use. I hear good things about the Rigol digital scopes (approx $500-600) but I've only used the Tek TDS3054 and the DPO3054. Get used to these and you won't miss CRT scopes. My personal scope is a Tek 475. If I were looking today I'd still consider a Tek 465 (< $100 on eBay) or a Tek 22xx series. If I were limited to one piece of test equipment it would be the best scope I could afford. A good meter if I can have 2 pieces followed by test generators. I read some of the folks problems with amplifiers and my first inclination is what does it look like on a scope. You can find more problems with a scope than any other test unit.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm....

"Of limited use for audio" I am speechless at that statement !

"1.6Kv supply" And the rest :) You need a 'scope with a high accelerating voltage to ensure a clear crisp bright trace... so it's more like 15Kv.

As to what to get... definitely an analogue 'scope for general purpose work. Dual trace is virtually essential if you do any serious work. Bandwidth as previously mentioned of a minimum of 20mhz.

I use a Hung Chang 5510 dual timebase,

hung chang oscilloscope items - Get great deals on items on eBay UK!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Depending on your budget, you may want to opt for a newer Tek scope. You can get 453 for less than $200 on ebay. However, the 400 series is from the late sixties; newer scopes are easier to get serviced and calibrated, and more functional.

My 2246, for example, has four channels and 100Mhz bandwidth (granted, you don't need that much for audio) and can do measurements (voltage and timing) on the signal, which makes work easier and faster. You can get a 2246 on ebay for $400 or so.

The newer scopes, those with LCD screens, are much more expensive, and many people dislike them, esp. for audio work, yet they are very compact and functional - besides the basic scope functionality you get, even in budget models, a wide array of measurements, things like autoranging on voltage and time axes, and even FFT.

Tektronix has some useful tutorials on how to use scopes - check their web site.

For your amusement, attached is a picture of my first scope - my father's Russian instrument from the sixties, with 10MHz B/W, octal tubes and an 80mm round CRT. It was very useful for me to learn electronics.
oscilloscope-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.