Sub for 2N3391 ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anyone have a suggestion for replacing a 2N3391 transistor with something else? I have been through all my TO-92 devices and none seem to be a good match by looking at the spec sheets.

VCEO Collector-Emitter Voltage 25 V
VCBO Collector-Base Voltage 25 V
VEBO Emitter-Base Voltage 5.0 V
IC Collector Current - Continuous 500 mA
PD Total Device Dissipation 625 mW

V(BR)CEO Collector-Emitter Breakdown
Voltage*
IC = 10 mA, IB = 0 25 V
V(BR)CBO Collector-Base Breakdown Voltage IC = 10 mA, IE = 0 25 V
V(BR)EBO Emitter-Base Breakdown Voltage IE = 10 mA, IC = 0 5.0 V
ICBO Collector-Cutoff Current VCB = 18 V, IE = 0 100 nA
IEBO Emitter-Cutoff Current VEB = 5.0 V, IC = 0 100 nA

hFE DC Current Gain VCE = 4.5 V, IC = 2.0 mA
2N3391/A - Min:250 - Max:500

Or tell us what they are going into. For example from the master cross reference at Peavey. they replace those with MPS8097, 2N6520, MPSA18. If you are indeed replacing old PV transistor preamp parts, then just about any suitably spec'd part will work fine. Low noise? Even better.

Yes Enzo you guessed it. a 1973 Peavey musician guitar amp. I tried some BC556 and MPSA06 that i had on hand but they did not work well, drew current and got hot. and yes i triple checked that i put them in the right places and that the orientation was correct.

I am working on the reverb tank drive amp. see attached schematic. I need to rebuild/rework this section with available transistors.

I also have 2N4401/4403 devices on hand if those would work?

Attachments

• Reverb.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 104
Yes Enzo you guessed it. a 1973 Peavey musician guitar amp. I tried some BC556 and MPSA06 that i had on hand but they did not work well, drew current and got hot. and yes i triple checked that i put them in the right places and that the orientation was correct.

I am working on the reverb tank drive amp. see attached schematic. I need to rebuild/rework this section with available transistors.

If you sub transistors and they get hot, the class AB bias is too high. More than likely, the Vbe's don't match the original. Put a trim resistor across the two diodes and adjust until the current is more reasonable.

well I got it to work using all 2N4401/4403 devices. I bread boarded up the circuit on the bench and it didn't work. couldn't figure out why. i played with it a bit and was really puzzled. then out of curiosity i connected the reverb tank. up until this point i had been running it without the tank connected. once the tank connected it started working! it needed the load of the tank to work. Now it works perfectly! lesson learned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.