Moulding rubber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I should have said liquid rubber as this stuff can also be brushed on to an object to make a mould. It would seem like the ideal stuff to use on items such as a Rega sub platter to fill the voids. As long as the platter is exactly level, the rubber should flow evenly over the surface and remain balanced.

urethane is quite good for this purpose I would think, for the object itself that is, for the mold I would still recommend good old RTV (silicone 2 part) for the platter I would not go too far with the shore rating, perhaps 70-80A which will retain some flex, though very hard to the touch, just means its not brittle as some of the higher ratings. I use shore 70-80A hardness for casting my own connector housings and even quite small they are very strong due to having this small amount of flex. only thing is, casting something this size will create quite a bit of heat, so take precautions and read up on the process before you start. you could even go harder, but I wont give any specific advise towards making a platter as I dont have any experience there

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.