Where to buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look in the Parts Express users forum (search "Econowave" or the "Flex . . . " thread if you want horns), or the HT Guide "Mission Possible DIY" forum.

Odds are that you'll still get your drivers from PE . . . though Madisound has a few lines that PE doesn't.

Well im looking to build a 3 way set up for music. Looking for 6" or bigger woofers. Budget $600

I've found the PE product portfolio pretty useful, unless you are looking for Seas or ScanSpeak type of products. Heck, a lot of the successful designs use the $10 "buyout drivers" that PE puts on sale from time to time.

And yes, there are literally dozens and dozens of DIY systems in the Project Gallery and forums.

Another good source for plans is the DIY forums at htguide.com. They don't sell parts, but lots of DIY builders in there too. I'm seriously considering a build of Jim Holtz's MiniStatement design for both music and HT, and htguide has at least a dozen build threads with people documenting their builds. You can do a pair for $700 or so, and get all the parts from PE except for the tweeter.

Well im looking to build a 3 way set up for music. Looking for 6" or bigger woofers. Budget $600
6" is a midrange.

How are you going to do the xovers?

I have serving suggestions and parts sources for the drivers, but unless you can do the xovers well, lets say you're just wasting your time.

I agree with Dave that the power handling spec is fairly irrelevant unless it's an 'impress your friends' type number.

Last edited:
People were posting as I was typing the previous post, so....

I'm seriously considering a build of Jim Holtz's MiniStatement design for both music and HT, and htguide has at least a dozen build threads with people documenting their builds. You can do a pair for $700 or so, and get all the parts from PE except for the tweeter.
I was going to suggest the same, or Paul Carmody's latest design.

Statements.

I like playing my music loud :) but also enjoy hifi.
So do I but I'd rather start with efficiency than power.

Thank you!!!! I'm so excited on getting started on my first project!!
Excellent. I would rather people be successful with their first DIY adventure, so I strongly (<- do I need to bold that and add a heap of exclamation marks to make the point?) suggest you build someone else's completed design. Passive xovers take a lot of understanding and some experience to design right and off the shelf generic units never work right.

Well wanted at least 6" drivers for the woofers but able to go bigger maybe 8" woofers.

Still working on the x-over part, that's why i was mainly interested on copying some ones completed project. At the same time there is nothing like making something on your own.

I come from car audio back ground so that is why i threw in the watts part. As we usually talk in how much wattage my system is. Anyways im learning as i go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.