Damn those alum rulers with opposite markings!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

While constructing a new set of boxes for my Audio Nirvana 8 inchers...I miscalculated and made one of the front driver holes about 5 inches lower than the other box. Boxes are glued together so my options are limited. The design is AN's 2.8 Ambiance model with an additional 8 incher on top. So... is it possible to correct this by doing the following: The additional 8 incher on top is for the "ambiance" effect. What about if I move it to the rear instead? Basically, I will cut a new hole on the back of the cabinet so the rear will now be the new "front" of the cabinet...thus correcting the screw-up. But, since there is now a hole still there from the screw-up, can I place the "ambiance" speaker there instead of the top? The layout will be two 8 inchers across from each other, but not at the same symmetrical hight. The front will be about 5 inches higher than the rear. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks

I would measure distance between the lowest part of the mistaken hole and the top of the cabinet.
Then I would remove the upper part with that " h" upwards both front baffles.
Then I would make two hollow rectangles (frames) with size fitting the hole and 1 inch sides.
Then I would use 1.5 inch screws to attach the frames radially to the top, sides and remaining front baffle... And lots of glue of course.
Then I would make two new front baffles with holes in the right place glued to the frame and remains of the old baffle. I would do yet another thing though ;) additionally I would use two circles of lined and equally spaced screws ;) the inner circle would attach the new baffle to the frame and the outer to the old baffle, top and sides if applicable. - I like rows of good looking screws!

And you're done!

The second driver is not a good idea, because it or the main driver would become to act as a passive radiator and you don't want that!

Wish you luck!

I vote for filling the hole! :D

I have been there myself (twice!), and this is completely fixable.

To fill the hole:

Cut with your router a recess all around as if to contersink a driver. The depth of the recess should be 50% of the thickness of the baffle. Now make a wooden plug that is the same diameter as the outer part of the hole (including the recess) and cut a "step" around it using the same router bit, again to 50% of the thickness of the baffle. You will now have a plug that you can glue in flush, and that will be sturdy enough to locate the hole to it's correct position.

To hide the correction:

You have two options. the first is to simply go for a laquer finish in which case the painted finish will hide your mistake. Alternatively get a high quality piece of leather in the colour of your choice, and cover the front baffle (of both speakers) with it.

Easy solution...
Turn your enclosure on it's side.
Let's just say your baffle is 3/4" thick.
Draw a vertical line top to bottom of enclosure 3/4" from your front baffle.
Do the same on the top, other side and bottom.
Drop your circular saw or table saw blade a little more than the thickness of the side, top, & bottom cabinet walls.
Set up a fence so your blade falls on the front baffle side of the line u drew.
Cut your front baffle off.
Make new front baffle that is correct.
Glue new front baffle to front of enclosure.
I would do this to both cabinets for consistency.
Be careful, wear goggles, take your time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.