Guitar amp with 6P6S (6V6) and probably 12AX7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm from Poland and it's my first post here so I ask for lenience as I am a beginner with tubes ;)

So, I decided to build my first low-power valve guitar amp. In the past I built some amps but I haven't used tubes inside them since now. I have one Russian 6P6S tube (it's electrically identical with 6V6) and it will be a base for a power amp.

As a preamp I would build this, if possible. I mean if it's possible to match the power amp on 6P6S (it's a must, so if I have to change my idea I'd rather change the preamp). I would be very grateful if someone here could help me with a schematic for this :)

Or, if someone has a different idea, especially better than mine I would appreciate it :p

EDIT: Sorry I haven't mentioned it: it will be for a BASS guitar...

Greetings

Last edited:
It's a clean channel based on Fender schematic. I would like modify it to fit a bass combo. With some help of course because I'm young enough to live :p

5W of valve power is sufficient, even more - 5W valve amp (but dedicated for guitar - I'm better guitarist than bassist) mixed with a 300-Watts cabinet is the configuration of mine for a rehearsals of our band - and it's cool, I can hear myself pretty good.

Also: the amp will be powering in the combo two 8" speakers, each has only 10 Watts, so "stronger" amp won't work for me.

Last edited:
With 300-Watts cabinet it was only a example of what a tiny amp can make.

It has sense 'cause the big cabinet (300W) is only a GUITAR cabinet, for me, for playing the guitar in my band with another head of 5-Watt power which I've already bought.

This bass combo (on this 2 speakers) will work only in home (with no use of full power) to learning because (as I said before) I'm not a bassist. Maybe in the future I'll plug something bigger but it's a far far far away now...

So using the 6P6S will be a bad idea?

Last edited:
Bad idea is building an amp without knowing what you're doing. Read something about bass amps and bass cabinets first. Google's search engine works well.
c'mon......

what transformers do you have ,or what are in your possibilities?
I´ve done this one and I have no complains.
and it´s very simple.:cool:

Attachments

• 6v6-1'2.gif
    6v6-1'2.gif
    19.6 KB · Views: 358
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
c'mon......

what transformers do you have ,or what are in your possibilities?
I´ve done this one and I have no complains.
and it´s very simple.:cool:

You've not really connected B+ to the center tap on this transformer have you? In this configuration an 8 ohm load is only reflecting 1/4 of the total primary impedance to the 6V6.. (Also only 1/4 of the primary inductance)

I have no clue if this transformer has a 20K primary as would be implied by the 5K + 5K shown in your schematic (unlikely) more likely it is a 10K primary in which case the impedance reflected to the plate of the 6V6 will be about 2.5K which is a bit low for good performance. A proper gapped 5K SE output transformer would probably provide better performance.

There is a second triode available for use with your current tube line up, should not be too hard to get the additional required gain across two stages.

its a 10k push pull transformer using only a half of it ,just in case of not having a 5k SE opt.
the other half of the 6sn7 can be used for more gain, or in case of the need of another SE module if you dont want to miss use it (a 6sn7) you can also put in the same circuit a 12au7 or a 6n1p or a 6j5 leaving all without changes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.