Toner Transfer Paper Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Up until yesterday, I had been using a nearly empty pack of Staples photo paper (as recommended on Tom Gottee's site). It was the 100 sheet package. For those who haven't seen some of my PCBs, this is an example:

NPX_01124.JPG

a board that just came out of the etchant. Sharp quality - perfect results always.
So, about a year ago, I bought another 100 sheet package of the same paper - same name, same item number - 471865. I didn't need it until yesterday and I opened it up and did a print. The results:

NPX_01134.JPG

I tried another sheet, same thing. I compare this paper to the older stuff (I had 1/2 a sheet left) and there is a difference. The new one has less gloss and stays flatter, where the older one would curl slightly at the sides. The new one has a Staples watermark on the back, the old one doesn't.
I'm totally pizzed off - 100 sheets of useless paper and no (cheap) way of finding a good replacement. If Staples needs to 'improve' a product, why not re-itemize it. Don't claim it's the same product.

I went to Staples this morning and attempted to explain the situation to the nearest 17 year girl (that and 17 year old boys work there) but she was totally vacant - not a clue about what I was doing or what paper to suggest. I took a couple of their gloss sheets (from the print department) and bought a pack of HP photo paper ($18 for 30 sheets). Neither of these is usable. The HP I will return.

So, anyone out there have a suggestion for a replacement?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have used magazine paper and the results are good, just not as good as the original Staples paper - detail is not as sharp.
Another problem is all the printing already on the paper makes alignment tricky in a 2 sided design (as seen in the first photo above).

I've run some home experiments as I was unable to find the old Staples paper.

If I prep the copper by sanding with 1500 grit in a circular motion, clean with acetone, then use thin, slightly glossy magazine paper, I get good transfers. I iron directly on the magazine paper, use a lot of pressure, and leave the iron sitting on the paper for 5 min.

With this method I get pretty good transfer, but occasional pinpoint holes. To solve this, on important boards, I take a thin sharpee marker and run all the traces. It's tedious, but the boards are perfection.

If anyone knows of a replacement paper for the old Staples, I'd be interested.

I also just found this link, worth a try?

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10291&highlight=toner+transfer

Last edited:
I tossed an almost full pack of the old Staples paper in the trash. I didn't even have a use for it as photo paper as I have a deep seeded hatred for inkjet printers.

Buy yourselves some HP Glossy Presentation Paper (Q2546A) and forget about using photo paper.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/162498-laminator-toner-transfer-2.html#post2150475

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/162498-laminator-toner-transfer-3.html#post2155926

EDIT:

Intersting, looks like that fella and I both stumbled upon the same product. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Hello
I used to use the same paper in red cover from Staples.
Really those are the best. I also run out..
I have some advise please use the color copy printer the ink quality much better!
Also if still not work try to put under the PC board a flat heatsink or metal something. Set up your iron very hot.
Also I advise you first just push the paper with the iron until stick after cover the whole thing with a thin cloth 100% cotton and iron that way very well everywhere
After you finished the ironing right away trow the PC board to cold water.
After use hot water to clean done the paper.
Yes there is a difference between papers and papers.
I purchased similar in blue cover it was useless!
Greetings

Hello

These paper use to be the best!
Now available only in 100 sheets .I used up one 30 and one 100 sheets.
After I went to Kinko's I used their paper but right now they change the quality of the paper to.
Both side glossy. Usually to me that does not work.
Be careful these Staples paper have to be glossy! The blue cover has plastic on the paper , right away stick on my iron:rolleyes:
I hope I could help.
Try that method I advised to you , even the plastic transfer foil work to in that way.
Paper is better because you can socked done and it comes out better.
BTW the number of the 30 sheets 471861, the 100 sheets end with 65 but that was not so good than the first one , but still works well.
I didn't tried the new paper yet!
Greetings.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_2.JPG
    IMG_0001_2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.