Fat Margaret Loudspeaker Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• spk_left.jpg
    spk_left.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 829
Spray on goop

DAVOhorn said:
I love the look of the cabinets

what materials or finish did you use?

My current project is only lacking a decent finish.

MDF cabinets , i do not want to veneer.

regards David

Looks like Texcoat / Stonecoat available from Homebase . Can be expensive , even spraying a small pair of cabinets with the stuff but gives a nive finish

316a

The small crack started at woofer hole and ran horisontally in the middle of the mdf panel not the line where the continuous panels are glued....

So the wood glue holds the thing together just fine but mdf itself with it's small fiber structure is not strong enough. I suggest it is wise to use metal rods in such box design even if you first don't see any signs of weaknesses. Someone here on the forum also told that a guy he new built a subwoofer box like this, but then dropped it and it broke like an egg.

Ergo

ergo said:
The small crack started at woofer hole and ran horisontally in the middle of the mdf panel not the line where the continuous panels are glued....

So the wood glue holds the thing together just fine but mdf itself with it's small fiber structure is not strong enough. I suggest it is wise to use metal rods in such box design even if you first don't see any signs of weaknesses. Someone here on the forum also told that a guy he new built a subwoofer box like this, but then dropped it and it broke like an egg.

Ergo
I wander if it would be wise to encase or cover the whole thing with fiberglass resing before finishing the box. It would be as heavy as a rock though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.