Crossover soldering question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to put together the crossover for my AV2 center channel, but I can't for the life of me think of what the right way to solder the foil leads of the inductor to the leads of the caps, or the speaker wire. If you guys could just tell me the ways you've used and been successful with it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Mike

I use a blowtorch for big soldering rather than a soldering iron which, I'm thinking, is not designed for such big pieces of metal as our foil inductors. Now I just use the blowtorch for everything, being careful not to get things too hot. Use a small blowtorch of course; one of them small 5 or 10 dollar ones.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. What do you mean by right way?

I used a foil inductor on the bass in my diy speakers and what I did, based on advice from Danny at GR Research and Dave Ellis was to poke a hole in the foil leads and thread the cap leads, wires, etc. through said hole, bend the lead parallel with the foil lead, twist, then solder the whole shebang on both sides. The other advice given to you on this is also pertinent and important (inductor geometry considerations, tie leads, hot glue / silicone, etc.)

Thanks a lot for the input guys. greg7's tip was exactly what i was looking for, makes sense now too. As far as inductor orientation is concerned, I only have one inductor in each my woofer and tweeter crossover sections, and those are going on seperate sides of the enclosure, so I'm guessing they will be fine. In my last project i used hot glue to secure the caps and resistors to my crossover board, and now about a year later some of those have come loose and are just hanging there by their soldered leads. So needless to say, I used wire ties to secure everything in these crossovers. Thanks again for the input guys.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.