Mounting an External Amplifier power supply??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There,

For my next amplifier project, I plan to mount the power supply in its own external case seperate to the power amp module.. But am a little confused as to the best method,, so some feedback will be appreciated..

My research about this has found 3 common methods:

1) Only mount Transformer seperately, leaving the Bridge rectifier and Capacitor banks in the same case as the power amp module.

2) Mount Transformer, bridge, Cap banks in the seperate case.

3) Mount Transformer, bridge, Cap banks in the seperate case, but have a second bank of capacitors next to the power amp module as well...

So, has anyone got experience with external power supply for a power amp??

Cheers.
Murphy

I agree, method 3 is the only one that can come upto performance expectations.
Do go and read the quandaries of deciding how to earth your two chassis arrangement. That may put you off the idea.

Hmmm,, interesting.. Couldn't be that hard?? I imagine just to use 3 core wire between the 2 cases, and the third 'earth' wire be attached to chasis.. Just like a normal IEC connector has Earth attached to chasis, you could run 3 core between cases, 2 for AC from Transformer, and 1 for linking chasis..

Am I in the right direction??

Murphy

yeah wouldnt you just use a well shielded 3+ wire umbilical and use the shield as chassis ground and 3rd earth wire for power supply/star ground? but yes it does throw a bit of a spanner in the works, as the main star ground for the build would normally be centered at the main supply caps

yeah wouldnt you just use a well shielded 3+ wire umbilical and use the shield as chassis ground and 3rd earth wire for power supply/star ground? but yes it does throw a bit of a spanner in the works, as the main star ground for the build would normally be centered at the main supply caps

Hmmm, definately a spanner in the works.. i did not think of that.. But, the chasis is earthed via the earth wire anyway.. so if you run a shield, aren't you having "multpile connection to earth" which is a recipe for ground loops??

Cheers..

I knew someone was going to be picky about that and somehow knew it would most likely be you :D of course in the end it should be at IEC and is, but first signal ground and PS ground converge at the main suply cap junction do they not? and does the above 2 box build cause a bit of an issue there? by main I guess I was meaning more points converging, not the last port of call. also to be more specific, an extension of the point between the main supply caps, not the actual physical center, center of potential

sorry I must remember when posting in such subjects to not leave anything up to assumption

Last edited:
Hmmm, definately a spanner in the works.. i did not think of that.. But, the chasis is earthed via the earth wire anyway.. so if you run a shield, aren't you having "multpile connection to earth" which is a recipe for ground loops??

Cheers..

god I hope not, if you have such a difference in ground currents between one chassis and another, with one powering the other, then you got some serious issues as they should be directly linked

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.