Caps .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4 section BC 3173GE222X450XPA2 capacitor 2200 UF at 450VDC - 525V Surge

I hope some here will have a use for these. I just bought some after finding (actually re-discovering the company) from the sticky: Tube Learning.....for newbies in old posting links.
Anyway, Steve is very very accomodating and easy to deal with. Plus he has tons of unlisted treasure available. Certainly worth the asking to see what one may find!
Thanks, all.:D

What will you be building with these caps?

GooooooooooooD question!?
Actually my initial plan was to strip them from one of the boards to use in a pair of Quicksilver 8417 mono-blocks that are otherwise dead and relegated to monkey around/ test bed status. Of course I'll need to first find a way around stripping the plates of the 5AR4 rectifier tubes at power up.
In my long past youth I worked in a Radio transmitter testing & service company. I fulfilled the dumb *** kid capacity and was the token after school fetch it grunion, as I could slither into impossible tiny tight places. Anyway, we had some Civil Defense emergency transmitters that we were tasked with testing on air twice weekly for 30 minutes. The transmitters were kept half alive on a set of inverters at 24v. Should they toggle "live" a solid state rectifier was switched IN as the 24vdc inverter pulled OUT... 3 minutes later the solid state rectifier was shut down and the "mother" Tube rectifier power supply was powered up. The Engineer told me that was to protect the Tube rectifiers from plate stripping by the HUGE cap bank. Alas, the details are now long lost to the haze of memory!!!
These board were intended for a Wind Turbine power inverter system. I'll post some pictures later.
I'll still have 12 nice big caps to play with!! Maybe that Atmasphere M-60 clone over in "what tubes for a Tube amp" thread..........or alway that tantalizing GU-50 thing of Wavebourn????

Last edited:
Pictures

Attachments

• DSC01577.jpg
    DSC01577.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC01578.jpg
    DSC01578.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC01579.jpg
    DSC01579.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC01580.jpg
    DSC01580.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC01581.jpg
    DSC01581.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01582.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 66
The way around tube stripping is to place a series limit resistor in line from the tube to the cap, then add a relay contact in parallel with the resistor. The relay would be a good bet as one could sense the voltage on the caps and switch the relay in when it was above some threshold.

The way around tube stripping is to place a series limit resistor in line from the tube to the cap, then add a relay contact in parallel with the resistor. The relay would be a good bet as one could sense the voltage on the caps and switch the relay in when it was above some threshold.
Ah Ha! Just what I'd been thinking. Any suggestion of limit resistor sizing?
These amps have the diode mod. as shown in the "quicksilver diode mod.jpg" which was gleaned from these forums. It really does gently bring the amps up...approx 50sec.
Anyway, ideas?
Thank you.

Attachments

• QS8417_PS_2.jpg
    QS8417_PS_2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 52
  • quicksilver diode mod.jpg
    quicksilver diode mod.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
Ah Ha! Just what I'd been thinking. Any suggestion of limit resistor sizing?
These amps have the diode mod. as shown in the "quicksilver diode mod.jpg" which was gleaned from these forums. It really does gently bring the amps up...approx 50sec.
Anyway, ideas?
Thank you.

OOOOOOOOPS....I had better straighten out what I'm thinking;
I would use 2 pairs of the 2200uf/450vdc caps connected in series (1100uf/ ~800vdc). One pair for each of the original 330uf/475vdc caps with of course the usual bypass caps and bleeder resistors + the series limit resistor & relay.
Or of course "sand" could be incorporated...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.