• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

$100 budget for output of Buff II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i need an SE output. It will be buffered via the dcb1 so your looking at a 10-20k load. What should i go with? It seems all the pear outputs use an opamp for the Se outputs. I could go with a tube gain stage but i have zero info on how to do that with a balanced current out. It would be nice if i could do it with just some transformers but would like to get around 1.4vrms for the output.

the legato includes the balsie to convert the balanced to unbalanced. It still uses an opamp for the conversion. And the legato has smt caps in the audio path. I was trying to find a way to get unbalanced out without resorting to opamps.

There are no SMD parts on the Legato at all.

We are about to release the new Ventus, which is a discrete balance->single-ended converter with a hefty buffer. The LME49600 it uses is not an op amp, but a diamond buffer in a single, highly matched and thermally coupled package.

EDIT: There are no SMD caps on any of our output stages. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with SMD caps in the first place...

Last edited:
I take it the buff II is running it voltage mode with the ventus and current mode with the legato?

Would my money be better spent on an opus then since i will only be running in SE mode? I know the buff II is the end all be all, but if its just because of its balanced features Id rather get a proper SE setup. the wolf 8741 is no slouch so i wonder if it would sound better in SE mode then the buff II.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.