Custom Enclosure for 03 WRX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm gonna make a fiberglass enclosure w/in the spare wheel well for my 03 WRX. Wondered if any of you guys had any tips for me, this is my first time dealing with fiberglass so anything would be appreciated. Basically, where I need the most help is ensuring I take the proper measurements so that my hours of work won't be in vain b/c of me not builidng the enclosure to proper specs. Here is what i'll be running in the trunk:

(1) 12" JL Audio W6v2 (needs 1.25 cuft)
(1) 500W amp

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Here is the method I know...

1) Clean your well and cover ALL of it with about 3-4 layers of masking tape.

2) Use about 3 layers of fibre glass and go over the top edge of the well.

3) Trim down the top edge to desired height.

4) Take out after drying period

5) Use a piece of felt / old fleece and cover the top with it. Pull it tight and fasten it around the edges.

6) Make an MDF ring to hold your speaker and make stand-offs to the bottom of your new enclosure. Doesn't need to be too strong.

7) Cover the felt with pure resin until it has gone all the way through the felt / fleece. Try to avoid the middle bit inside the MDF ring.

8) Cut out the bit inside the MDF ring.

9) Finally, use car body filler to smooth out "fleece" area and finish as you want!

Couldn't be easier! ;)

Good luck & nice car!!!
Gaz

You can do the masking tape thing or you can spray a heavy coat of PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) onto the surface instead. I prefer to dynamat then PVA over the top of the dynamat so I get a better fit then masking tape. Either way it's gonna shrink so it wont be exact.

4 Layers of 1.5 oz matt in a 50/50 resin to matt ratio is about 1/2" of material. I would shoot for that. Don't use 3/4 oz matt, it's too wimpy and you'll be laying forever. Be sure to roll the bubbles out with a fiberglass layup roller. Trying to brush out the bubbles is not a replacement for a good rolled laminate.

Allow a minumum of 24 hours before you pull the layup. I would recommend you glass in MDF/Medite into the layup for bracing to reduce shrinkage and provide a surface to square up the top.

My System

Got my subs in the car (in my old box), they are hittin so hard yo can see the drivers side rear quarter panel move in and out!!! and my right rear tailight is rattling. Hopefullly, all will be fixed when i put my permanent box in there.

Ran into some troubles...Planned the box dimensions out wrong so now i have to take out the entire back seat to slide the subs in!!! Runnin the wires was fairly simple, and we hid them well. I'll have pics up soon of the uncarpeted box, then later on, the final product.

Anyone know of a place to get carpeting for the sub box? My friends said Wal-Mart, but i'm lookin for some good quality stuff

Here is a conceptual picture of my enclosure my friend designed using AutoCad. There is another 12" sub on the opposite of the visible sub.

We're installing the enclosure tomorrow and carpeting is soon to follow. More pics will be up soon

Attachments

• scan0001.png
    scan0001.png
    7 KB · Views: 133
Volume

Since I didn't put a divider in the middle to separate the chambers for each of hte subs i am hearing some interference. I was wondering if anybody knew how to figure out the volume of my enclosure. I looked around, but couldn't find any formulas because of its unconventional shape. And I can't pull the bottom off and fill it w/ something then put that amount into a known volume because I have already sealed it shut. Trying to find out the volume because if want to put two ports on the back of the enclosure and I have to have the volume of the box to figure out the port size (altho if you guys don't think porting the box is the best option, let me know).

If anybody out there, has any clue please let me know.

Attachments

• top view small size.jpg
    top view small size.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 129
Re: Carpeted view

mc91183 said:
The enclosure is finally finished!!! :D

What next to do...

Take it out so that the Mrs can get the shopping in. I had to make a new install that laid flat so that the boot could still be used!

Well done - it looks fab. Don't forget that cars have a natural Bass boost at about 50-60Hz and this may well be the "interferance" that you are hearing!

Enjoy it whilst you can! ;)
Gaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.