DPS-500 Innovative Power supply for Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I want to describe this revolutionary PSU because it solves the problems of RFI / EMI and is the only one who can provide truly amazing performance. (Even low-power 30-50W) amplifier has a very tough play. This is due to the output voltage very "firm" as well as being absolutely clean as a battery.
I think that this information can resolve the supply of high-end amplifiers in a small space and weight.
I have tested this model with these amps. (One DPS-500)
Hypex UCD700 (classic rock and music) in this latter is really exciting.
Hypex 2xUCD400 (2x350w rms (4R)
AudioPower DXA-600 (4R) OR (2xSDA-400 at Bridge 8R)
B & O ICE500A (4R)
National LM3866-(3 chips).(4R)
I am available to other tests and measurements on your advice, with pleasure.
P.S. Soon I'll put up this post with the measures and internal signals to the power supply under various static / dynamic loads.

Best Regards

Attachments

• DPS-500.jpg
    DPS-500.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 961
so if it is not PWM then it might be resonant?

regards,
savu

Hello Savu,
no, this PSU uses two "engines".
A fixed PWM at 50% with special wave (square wave with rounded corners) and driving it custom transformer.
the other is a dual sensing of current driving a power stage DC / AC very fast.
I am preparing a minimum measure and diagram to put them in this post ..
In practice, the voltage regulation does not use PWM.
This system solves the low PSRR also on the class D.

regards

Hi,
Yes, DPS-800 uses the same principle of high voltage analog controller.
Both models Have ISO-input (close to gnd) from amplifier, eg. DC or thermal protection.
these two models are designed exclusively for amateur (audiophile amplifiers) not for commercial audio.
warmth of the bass and the ability to deliver a 'hit' ... unbelievable.:)
Normally this effect can be heard on a 30Kg. amplifiers AB class.

Regards

Thank you AP2 - as the Hypex amps don't have their own DC protection circuits, I'll have to look into maybe doing this another way :)
Hi,
I know that UCD700 have this protection (open collector output). and input also.
Becouse a customers use our DPS-600 with UCD700 and use both protections, input (for ready dc voltage output) and output for fast-break PSU.
maybe UCD400 not have?
In this case is easy design it..:)
Regards

Hi, sorry for the delay.
In the first phase put these measures, just to understand the behavior of the power regulator (very different from the normal PWM).
Digital printer is not very good for details see, but I think the signs are incredibly clean.
A brief comment on other measures and put some innovations of this PSU specifically designed to achieve similar behavior to a large torus with large capacitors (in some circumstances it behaves better than the linear PSU).:)
Also try to describe the power regulator module (this is similar to an amp in class-A) but with a bandwidth of 10MHz with differential input.
Measure in a class d amplifier with this PSU, it solves the problem of PSRR.
Voltage at output is not unbalanced by the alternating load. This is also reflected in these measures.
Condition of test:
115VAC
28° Ambient
Hameg combiscope oscilloscope 1,5GHz/S- 150Mhz
Programmable Mosfet load (2kw)
Variac 2,5Kw Isolated Line
Test on: DPS-500-F-D-68V @115VAC.
Some solutions can be described (because they do not infringe the copyrights) and I think that can help in the creation of normal smps, particularly on the issue of RFI / EMI.

Regards

R.P.

Attachments

• DPS-500-Measure.jpg
    DPS-500-Measure.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 516
Hi,
This diagram that I enclose, I think we can clarify the concept of this new PSU.
After a long search not only to get a clean output voltage, but to get a response very fast, so that the voltage goes down below the burst of current caused by the amplifier. (Reason for using large capacitors into the linear).
it is clear that all the performances obtained with this PSU, were obtained not only with the development of an error amplifier that can respond in less than 150ns, but with the use of special devices and components.
eg. the transformer is non-standard (custom) and using the "GAP" ceramic also conduct heat.
Who has tried this PSU has remained incredulous, even comparing it with 400w toroidal and 2x22000uF.
I understand that the switches in the world, had never obtained these performances, noise and / or decrease under burst, has allowed the integration of compact amplifiers really esoteric for the audiophile.
I'm not interested in selling a DPS-500 just because I'm doing the article in the forum. This product is already international interest.
In red are some simple steps that can be taken even on an ordinary switch (but I have not seen on other schemes) but are important for reducing the pulse (very big), carried out - led to the cell and converted into RFI filtering .
well,
DPS-500 is composed of three sections:
Protections unit (full)
Fixed frequency square wave driver (with variable amplitude) that is used in the sequence of start-ups.
Very fast analog power controller can directly drive the high voltage on the transformer.

Best regards
R.P.

Attachments

• DPS-500-Regulator.jpg
    DPS-500-Regulator.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 437
P.A. Applications

Hello:

I recently auditioned a FTB (manufactured in Italy) model# HiMaxX 40A.
This is a powered monitor for P.A. use.
It uses a class D for low frequency speaker and class H for the high frequency compression horn loaded section.
This is a very impressive amp for its intended purpose.
Is this amp unit that you describe possible used in either if those Italian manufacturers of pro audio sound reinforcement products... namely FTB and RCF?
What do you think about the reliability of those designs?

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, I know the products you mentioned, very good, even manufacturing.
it is likely that a similar model, can use a SDA-400 instead of class H amplifier to the driver. (Compact and high resolution as Ab class) and can be mounted in vertical sandwich up to 800w (8R) array system for medium / high driver.
it is obvious that I can not release information on this on a public forum.
Regarding your last question, yes I'm convinced the high reliability of this, I'm also working on a hybrid system (power supply directly from the modulated audio signal) for 1kW to 5 kW. without amplifier section) with digital input to eliminate the unnecessary double conversion.
Regarding reliability of the DPS-500, this is very high, including switch-off to save the amplifier in case of fault to the controller.
Also, if short cut is Already present at switch-on, not start DPS-500 (instead of start and after ,overcurrent switch off).
Perhaps the experience on other areas (Special), allows me to see another point of view... things.:)

Regards
R.P.

Thanks R.P.

My question was about those particular amps as used in the FBT and RCF because I am very close to purchasing the FBT HiMaxX 40A.
It is certainly possible that the units that you represent here at DIY, may in fact be superior to the amps in the FBT HiMaxX 40A.
I certainly would not think, at this time, to remove the amps in the HiMaxX 40A and attempt to fit one of the units that you refer to because of warranty - unless it was a rather straight forward thing to do, which I assume it is not.
The reason I wrote you was to find out:
1. If you have any working knowledge of the amps in that HiMaxX 40A, since you are from Italy and apparently are in the profession of switching type amps and therefore you probably are aware of leading manufactures' designs in your country, true?
2. There are many ways to design class D and H amps... some better than others, however, is it true that generally speaking, those type of amps are not able to perform reliably for many years when compared to well-designed class AB analog types?
If you are willing, could you comment on the skill and quality, or lack of it, regarding that unit-HiMaxX 40A?
If so, would you comment on the advantages when using your amps with the FBT?
Thank you

Hi,
I know several products FBT, the philosophy is that of the professional product especially in PA, instruments etc..
In fact, the price is not low (for a similar product).
I can not comment on a product without having measured, and without authorization of the producer (I'm not a private DIY).
I do not recommend to change the amplifier on a new product.
Class "G" in practice, gives a good resolution to drive the driver.
The alternative of using a digital driver, requires a very high resolution in a professional end product.

Best Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.