Modified ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This question might sound a bit strange at first but has anyone heard of any research on modifying the shape of the external ear in order to improve on the ears ability to hear and perceive sound more accurately.
I have tried cupping my hands behind my ears as though to extend the general shape of the ear and have noted quite a lot of difference in the resultant sound that can be achieved from my speakers. Volume increase is the most apparent effect.
Although most ears commonly fit into a generally similar shape pattern, there is a lot of subtle variation in the folds of the outer ear between people and so this is going to give variations in the perception of sound.
Do people who have "golden ears" have a particular folding of the outer ear that is better?
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
:)

Just placing hands near the back of my head while listening makes a big difference to the volume and tone of the sound. I would guess that small changes of the ear folds will make some difference, but most important is that everyone is used to thier own ears. The 'golden ear', providing you don't have hearing damage, is mostly just knowing how to critically listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.