• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

FFT for adjusting tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m looking for a new oscilloscop. The old one is more that 30 years things are not really working anymore.

I haven’t seen a description anywhere but I got the idea to use FFT to adjust for minimum distortion when feeding an amplifier with a pure sinus wave. Is this possible at all and is it possible with a low-cost scop like this one? Rigol DS1052E

What I want to do is to find the best working point of a tube and best bias and stuff like that.

I have that scope, and the FFT is pretty basic. I believe that the resolution is only 8 bits, leaving it somewhat lacking for this purpose. I purchased a cheap HP distortion meter and use this. I think I read somewhere that you can use the distortion meter output to feed in to scope and use this too to help with distortion reduction.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.