Something INSIDE THE AMP playing music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picked up an amp that I knew had some issues but they should have been minor. (Cosmetic/connection related)

Both channels play, one is just a bit quiet compared to the other side but they can be matched, and when the crossover is in fullpass or high pass, I can hear some component "playing" the input. Sort of a high pitched buzz but can actually make out words (DJ on between songs)

I've wiggled/touched different parts but can't isolate it. It does raise in intensity with the amps bass/treble controls and to some extent with the channel gains. Crossover in low pass I can't hear it but I haven't fed it some bass heavy music and turned it up to duplicate it.

~1996-97ish? Fosgate 200x2

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

That's generally caused by the power transformer. It's generally not a problem. If it is audible once installed, you can try moving the windings on the transformer to see if it eliminates the problem.

That was my first thought before I popped the cover off. Then I found that it only does it with one channels input so was poking around around the low level/preamp parts.

I'll play with it some more and see if that's it. Looks like I need to throw together a dummy load and break out the scope and tone generator to see if everything else holds up...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.