Dual CSS SDX10 Sub Construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi peoples, as the title suggests I've got a pair of CSS SDX10 subs and I'm looking to build vented enclosures for them. Building the boxes is not an issue but working out They will crossed over at about 150hz to a pair of Zaph's Hi-Vi B3S 3" fullrange drivers using an active crossover (make/model yet to be decided).

I plan on basically replicating the build outlined below. It seems to model well and is about the maximum box size I can use (68 litres / 2.4 cubic feet) tuned to 21hz.

Another 10" CSS build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

However I've got a few questions to start off:

When calculating box sizes do I need to account for the volume that the driver displaces? I know bracing needs to be accounted for but what is the deal with drivers? Also where am I likely to get this info, can't seem to find it anywhere.

Due to size/location restraints these boxes need to be cube shaped which gives internal dimensions of *roughly* 41cm. The required port length is 74cm. Obviously this isn't going to fit in a straight line. i plan on using pvc plumbing pipe for the port. Is there any way I can change the diameter of the port to reduce the required length? Or should I just use a 90 degree bend in the pipe to fit it in the box?

Lastly I'm under the impression that flanged port ends are ideal as they reduce whistling and other such noises as air moves out the port. I figure I can use a roundover bit on my router to make such flanges but I'm not sure what impact they have on the required port length. Can anyone explain.

Thanks for putting up with me, I'd really appreciate any thoughts and replies :). When I get to building these babies I'll start getting some photos up.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, the volume of the driver & the port need to be accounted for.

Shortly i'll be drawing up a box for my SDX10s -- i'll be approximating the volume the driver takes up, with something like the SDX7, a cylinder the diameter of the magnet assembly and as deep as the driver is a pretty close approximation. Mine will be sealed so won't be nearly as critical volume wise.

dave

Due to size/location restraints these boxes need to be cube shaped which gives internal dimensions of *roughly* 41cm. The required port length is 74cm. Obviously this isn't going to fit in a straight line. i plan on using pvc plumbing pipe for the port. Is there any way I can change the diameter of the port to reduce the required length? Or should I just use a 90 degree bend in the pipe to fit it in the box?

Hi,

Have you considered a slot port? Perhaps you could post a question on the HTS CSS forum and get some input on the design.

Bob

This thread is interesting actually.
I'm planning on building a 45-50l box which will hold some cheap subs to begin with but later on when i get more money i will swap them out for some CSS SDX10's i think.
What's best, bigger box (like 60-70l) or smaller box (45-50l)?
For music only, no movies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.