Need opinions for 10" pro woofer + horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I am going through the process of choosing a 10 inch pro woofer to mate with a B&C DE250 and RCF H100 horn in a ported enclosure. Crossover around 1.5khz.

This is my list so far:

B&C 10NW64 http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-679.pdf

Seems good though large peak at 2khz

B&C 10HPL64 http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-678.pdf

OK response to just over 2khz however I have heard the distortion figures for this driver are not great

B&C 10PLB76 http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-659.pdf

Qts is VERY low at 0.19. Not sure if this will be problem?

I would like to get the woofers from parts express simply because I have had the least amount of hassle with delivery to australia. So my choices are limited by their range.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Audio and HT. Would like high SPL with low distortion and excellent dynamics.

Anyone had any experience with any of these woofers in a 2 way? Or can you recommend ones that have worked well for you. I have considered the B&C 10PS26 though I'm not sure if its high inductance will give it a slower sound than the others on the list (also not sure if the low inductance effect is a myth!)

Hi,

I am in a same situation as you I have DE250 and H100, this combo works very well. I use a old 10 inch woofer they seems to work quite well, however I have been eyeing a new woofer to replace it, the 2 woofers I am eyeing are high effciency woofers which will complement the compression driver. They are:

Try Beyma you can buy them from a Europe retailer(I have not bought from them before) which sends direct to Australia, try this site:

Europe Audio - Home page

the 2 models I am looking at are:

10BR60 and
SM110/N

there are many other models under Beyma brand that may suit you.

Your planning to build the above is a very good one I have a prototype working and it sounds very good indeed, very open, dynamic and very efficient(loud). You will not be disappointed.

Cheers happy building.

See the links to EconoWave 10 & 10e for 10" woofers. There are options for the use of the DE250 with other woofers. Not exactly to your wishes, but good background never the less.

Techtalk at Parts-Express.com - View Single Post - Flex Your PCD Mettle:

I went with the Eminence DeltaLite II 2512, in the cabinet below.

I haven't heard to compare the RCF horn. The horn available from QSC and used in the 152i is very good.

lafontaone2.jpg

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

I am in a same situation as you I have DE250 and H100, this combo works very well...

Hi ttan98,

What was the lowest crossover frequency you have used successfully with this combo? Are getting any "honk" with this horn compared to other waveguides?

See the links to EconoWave 10 & 10e for 10" woofers. There are options for the use of the DE250 with other woofers. Not exactly to your wishes, but good background never the less.

Ed, thanks for the links. Did you ever solve the problem with the "upper-mid colouration" in your econowaves?

Maybe Eminence DeltaPro-12A ?

Hi Tinitus, would prefer to keep it at 10" for now.

Greetings dabbler,

At this point I consider them musical, a joy & able to be listened to for a long, long time. They have replaced my ML Modula mtm's

Did you ever solve the problem with the "upper-mid colouration" in your econowaves?
An associate has measurements. I have 3 things to try in the near future:

*A smoother transition between cd and horn. I'm using the horn from the QSC 152i. With respect to the 14.6 degree exit angle of the B&C DE250, the vertical entry angle of the horn is ~32 degrees; the horizontal entry angle is ~60 degrees;
You may be able to appreciate the room for improvement.
Comparing these graphically with Geddes' OS profile tells me I need to add ~3/16" between the CD and horn...and smooth.
The smoothing needs to be extended out into the throat. There is a slight concavity in the horn to be dealt with up to around 1" from the entry. One can feel it and it is visible by letting sunshine through the throat. Rotate the horn slowly to see it.

*Stuffing behind the driver to damp the rear wave reflection is being adjusted.

*Lining the mid-woofer recess with F-13 felt.

I'll report my findings. This may only be a "problem" to others. I'm interested in finding if any of these things are perceptible to my 57 year old ears. ;) Other, better ears will come into play.

I wouldnt mind trying Deltalite II 2515

Be mindful of the c-c distance and the effect on lobing.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'll report my findings. This may only be a "problem" to others. I'm interested in finding if any of these things are perceptible to my 57 year old ears. ;) Other, better ears will come into play.

If YOU cant hear it then it doesnt exist ;)

PE ship UPS so muchos fees etc this end. Prosoundservice are excellent and will USPS.

Hi Brett, fees only apply to imports over $1000 or there abouts. I have never paid any duty using fedex. I did contact Prosoundservice a while back for a shipping quote but they never got back to me.

10" midbass from PE..

B&C 10HPL64

Scott, is this a recommendation based on personal experience? Have you seen any distortion figures for this driver?

10HPL64 + DE 12-8 + W. Horn.

Hi Zeonrider, nice build. What crossover are you using? Are you satisfied with the midwoofer?

Scott, is this a recommendation based on personal experience? Have you seen any distortion figures for this driver?

Just a recommendation based on parameters when compared to other offerings. (..lots of other offerings beyond PE's.)

Other drivers:

Beyma 10G40 is probably the best driver for the job, but it isn't available through PE.

Kappa Pro 10a.. Qts is to low, especially when factoring baffle step compensation. Top-end response would also need a very steep filter as well.

18Sound 10MB600 is similar yet better than the Kappa Pro 10.

PHL Audio has some offerings, but nothing outstanding for midbass use when compared to others. Also not available through PE.

AEspeakers TD10M is good if you need increased extension at the expense of eff., but not available through PE.

Of course none of these are midrange drivers.. that's another class.

Still, in the prosound grouping I think you are looking at the wrong size drivers. The "sweet spot" is 12"; specifically the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO - and it's available from PE (and probably from Aussie sources).

Eminence Kappalite 3012HO - drivervault

Last edited:
Hi Brett, fees only apply to imports over $1000 or there abouts. I have never paid any duty using fedex.
Well the rules have changed or you have lucked out. Because Fedex/UPS/Schenker et al are bonded shippers any consignment will have $65 (that's what it was last time) customs entry fee plus applicable duty plus GST on the item cost and shipping.

The $A1000 limit applies to items through Austpost and the value includes the postage.

Between 02 and 09 I must have imported several hundred items.
I did contact Prosoundservice a while back for a shipping quote but they never got back to me.
Always been prompt with me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.