Portable speaker similar toAR Powered Partners

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm a newbie looking for some help in a project I want to start. I want to make a reasonably small portable "boombox" for playing from my iPod. Generally, this will be used outdoors.

I have been using an old (20 years ?) pair of AR Powered Partners hooked up to a battery (they accecpt 12-14 Volt as well as standard AC). Frankly, I'm not an audiophile and these have very acceptable performance for my needs. However, they are very heavy (metal enclosure) and awkward to carry, especially with the added weight of a battery. Plus, I enjoy woodworking and messing with stuff and just want a new project...

What I'd like to do is make something that sounds as good or better than these AR in a single, easy to carry, beautifully crafted wooden box. I'm good with the woodworking part and I've read a lot about T-amps and figure I could use an Amp6 for this. What I'm hoping for is some advice on speaker selection to get as good or better sound as my Powered Partners. I've seen alot of threads about relatively large boomboxes that all look fantastic, but are too big for my needs. I've thought of just taking my Powered Partners apart and repurposing the internals, but I don't want to do that if I can meet my design goals with new parts.

Any advice on drivers selection, cross-over, enclosure design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.