My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had the opportunity to design my own interconnects. I spent approximately 10K in materials, equipment, research and design, and hundreds of hours with trial and error. Why? because I wanted to add something special to my systems that was "me". Also...this is an arena that I believe is easier for the amateur to do themselves. Mind you, I'm not just talking about conductor + Teflon + connectors = interconnects. This was an all-out assault to design something almost entirely had made.

I would be glad to do a tutorial with plenty of pics from start to finish if I can get enough interest from the peeps here. These are not your typical construction IC's. I promise.

Just add a comment like :

Sure...I'll read the damn thing.
Heck...I would love to see your thoughts and ideas.
Show me your's and I'll show you mine.

...or just a simple, OK, go for it will do.

you Won't be disappointed, I promise.

Spiro.

EXCELLENT!

I'll organize my thoughts...and will start tonight.

The breakdown will be as follows (not necessarily in this order)

1 - Discussion of pros and cons of numerous connectors and the practicality of their design implementation including the acoustic signatures exhibited by these connectors.

Neutrik, WBT, Cardas, Eichmann, Vampire, Home Grown Audio (Rhodium), DHLabs, Audio note etc.

2 - Simple discussion of electron propagation in a conductor so as to explain why the given material for conduction was chosen

UPOCC (Ultra Pure Ohno Continuous Cast) solid core silver and solid core copper wire

3 - Dielectric absorption and its influence on signal propagation relating to chosen material.

Cotton

4 - Shielding from interference by neighboring equipment/environment.

not telling yet...secret surprise (this is the part where everyone will either say screw it...or will follow through with the building of these interconnects)

5 - Conductor morphology

Single solid core silver (SSCS) vs. SSCCopper vs. SSCS/SSCC wound vs. SSCS/DoubleSCC wound vs. DSCS/DSCC wound etc.

6 - External protective jacket

Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) braided sleeving, Nylon braided sleeving

7 - Testing/conditioning equipment for connectors and conductors

Audiodharma cable cooker
Manley Skipjack
Cryo treatment

8 - Reference equipment for tweaking signature of interconnects (aka my home stereo)

Weytech Labs Opal Preamp, Audible Illusion L1 preamp, Jeff Roland Concerto preamp, McIntosh C712 control center, Melody SP7 Inegrated tube amp

ASR Basis Exclusive phono preamp, Vacuum State JLTI phono preamp

Origin Live resolution turntable with Illustrious arm, and ZYX Airy3 0.24mv cartridge
Pioneer Premier PL-90 turntable with ceramic arm and Shure cartridge
B&O Linear turntable with MMC2 cartridge

Thiel 2.4 speakers, Acoustic Zen Adagio Jr. speakers, JBL 4312C control monitors, Magneplanar MMG speakers, Audio Nirvana DIY speakers.

Gamut D200MRKII amp, Jeff Roland 201 mono amps, VTL mono amps, McIntosh MC2500 amps, DIY Zen type amp, Melody SP7 integrated tube amp, DIY 6550 tube amp, Monarchy Audio SM70 Pro mono amps

Denon studio CD/CDR, Jolida CD700 CDP

And when I say that I literally tried EVERY combination of conductor morphology with every single imaginable combination of equipment...I am dead serious. The Manley skipjack is something no cable engineer should do without. It made my whole auditioning process very efficient. You can hook up 4 different interconnects to it and instantaneously, without disruption, switch through each one.
More later on tonight.
Cheers

Spiro

I would love to see what you did, how you did it, and what you produced.

Most of all, I would love to see a well-designed double-blind test showing that your product is clearly better, and repeatedly demonstratively better, than $40 off-the-shelf interconnects.

That would impress me!

I would love to see what you did, how you did it, and what you produced.

Most of all, I would love to see a well-designed double-blind test showing that your product is clearly better, and repeatedly demonstratively better, than $40 off-the-shelf interconnects.

That would impress me!

That is a tricky thing to maneuver. See, when we buy off-the-shelf IC's...they're already done. Invisible are their workings. Only jargon is available to describe their morphology. For instance, lets imagine a meal already prepared. Looks great, smells great, you know that someone very talented made this meal. You eat it and conclude that it was the most delicious thing that you have ever eaten. Now imagine if would have observed that person preparing the meal from the very beginning. You SEE the fresh, just purchased mahi mahi, or the steak...watching every step of the way as they add fresh ingredients:magnify:...stirring, heating, steam emanating from the pans...hearing the sizzling...smelling the aroma:lickface:.

Would your conclusion be different? Would there be a slight bias now compared to before? Sometimes, its the working up to the event that prepares one for the experience, yes?

Thats how I see the nature of off-the-shelf vs. experiencing the genesis of creativity.

For others...this could very simply be **.

lol.

Cheers

A lot of people here like to argue about cables, so there is no doubt that no matter what you did you will face heavy criticism. I hope you don't get offended. You see it is already starting and yes it will get much worse.

However, I think most of us would like to see what you did and why because it sounds interesting and involved a lot of work. Maybe we can learn something as well.

Last edited:
I think we'd like to know what measurement regime you used and what scientific background you have to be discussing these topics in detail.

Did you learn it on the web or at MIT?

let's see the cables...

My measurements are based on:

My ears and what they think sounds good. My experience with tons of equipment. My cumulative interest in audiophile goings-on since the age of 12 and the adventures thereafter. The amount of educational material available for free without having to WASTE time in higher education. Even though I do have a degree...in GENERAL STUDIES.

CHeers

A lot of people here like to argue about cables, so there is no doubt that no matter what you did you will face heavy criticism. I hope you don't get offended. You see it is already starting and yes it will get much worse.

However, I think most of us would like to see what you did and why because it sounds interesting and involved a lot of work. Maybe we can learn something as well.

Well, lets do this then...to save those who may not be interested by my level of expertise some trouble, here is my bio:

Greek (don't shoot)
42, married, 2 kids

1985 - Started in pre-med majoring in Bio, with a minor in Chemistry and Psychology. Four years later...very bored with it. Didn't finish. Started doing research in the fields of Biochemistry and Cytology.

Five years later (1995) got bored with all the political bullshlagen and started working for myself in the used automotive industry. An acquaintance trained me to repaired automotive upholstery (leather and such.) Went back to school but changed universities. I had spent so much time and money that it would have been a waste to not get that piece of paper. So I asked my councelor...WTF can I take to finish this thing as quickly as possible. She said...2 more years, and you can get a General Studies degree and finish. I said HALLELUJAH! I got my degree from Tulane University in New Orleans 2 years later in 2003 in General Studies. Now, on-wards with life again.

In the meantime (back in 1997) my friend built for me my first PC. I WAS HOOKED. I year later (after I got over the phenomenon of "YOU GOT MAIL" I started building the damn things myself. During this time the field of Information Technology was looking appealing. Having been self employed for 5 years, I decided to study for a CISCO certification (CCNA). I did...by myself, with no hands-on OR experience. Three months later, I got it. Then, as I was looking for employment in that field, I decided that having a Microsoft cert. would help me. So after 7 months...I, on my own...with no experience or hands on, attained my MCSE (7 exams).

After a few temp jobs working for various IT Co's, I landed a position as a Desktop Support Tech for Northrop Grumman. Nice. For a while that is. I got more and more interested in networking...then decided that I wanted to be a Network Engineer. I re-certified my CCNA...stated looking for a job...and landed one for Northrop Grumman in another state as a network engineer. My family and I moved.

3 years later I was bored AGAIN. I quit the job.

2006-2008 - very hard to find a job because of the IT slump. Hmm...time to build cables. LOL. I needed something to do while looking for work.

2008-2009 finally got a job as a Network Administrator for Lockheed Martin working at the Stennis Space Center in Ms. for NASA. Nice for a while. Good money. Then the typical scenario took hold...no, I wasn't bored this time. Just tired of IT field. Decided IT was not for me anymore, and that I wanted to go back to science.

Now, I work for Medical Genetic Consulatants...helping to diagnose chromosome abnormalities ranging from fetal conditions like Down's Syndrome to cancers such as lymphomas, myelomas, and other types of bone/blood cancers.

Cool yes?

Now...if my level of technicality is not on par with...whatever...I'm completely comfortable with that.

Plus, I'm too busy to care what certain people think...I have a Gamut amp thats on the blink...and my MMG's covered with scotch tape to worry about. (As can be seen on other DIYAudio threads.)

Real issues.

Cheers

Spiro

Now...if my level of technicality is not on par with...whatever...I'm completely comfortable with that.

No worries, you've got ears and motivation........what else do you need?

I'm in the middle of my last course toward my EET diploma after 30 yrs. off and on study. Been in insurance for 23 years because we like a roof and three squares......but might try something new now.....

Let's see those cables

Cheers,
Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.