15 in small enclosure with eq

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 15 with reasonable xmax to load into a fairly small enclosure of ~80L with EQ. I have a BASH 500W amp with EQ, and a standalone EQ unit as well.

It'll be used for LFE 80% of the time, perhaps music very occasionally. It seems tough to find a large driver that works well in a fairly small enclosure.

Looking for recommendations. Thanks guys.

Yes I have built-in parametric EQ in the amp, as well as a standalone unit with sweepable EQ. I'd be using that to boost the low end in that fashion. Just need the right driver, that'll give me reasonable response in the smaller enclosure, and I can make it perfect with EQ. I'm hoping to find a driver that'll play -6 to -9db down at 20Hz in ~75L. wow 15db gain, that'd require a monstrous amp. I've already found a driver that's 9db down at 20Hz vented. I'd like to go sealed, and I haven't found a suitable driver for that yet..

Hello mike,

curious that your thread should show up at this time, as just yesterday I was searching for such a driver myself. I was looking for something that could do about 106dB in an 80l sealed box with LT, and get all the way down to 16-20Hz.

I was putting a few drivers through WinISD, but didn't really find any I liked. This is not a high priority task for me, since I'm already working on several other subwoofers right now, but I will be following this thread with interest, to see if anything else useful comes up. I hope you report back on any progress you make.

I use a jbl 2226H in 100L enclosure and I have been using this for quite a while.
Try simulating this against your driver of choice. Fx 2226H vs some peerless XXLS give nearly the same output(1W) at 20Hz, whereas at 50Hz the 2226H wins, clearly the XXLS wins spl wise due to the longer XMAX. Thus if not considering XMAX, both drivers will play equally loud per watt at 20Hz. The 2226H needs EQ something like -15Db at 100Hz to become linear.

AE speakers have a special line suited for non-Eq'ed closed box systems. However it is not on their website, it is, however mentioned in several posts on their forum

/andreas

Hi all,

FYI: Looking for a 15” driver(EBP<=50) suitable for an 80 L closed box LT:ed to 20 Hz but not wasting to much power i.e. a max. total power loss of less than 4 times or 4:1 = 12 dB?

~106 dB at 20 Hz at x-max is achievable when inputting 640W/ref 4Ohm into a Aurasound NS15-992-4A driver in a 80 L closed box, thus for an 4:1 LT – amp connected: 160W would be available for the midband SPL . See the picture for the LT circuit.

b

Attachments

• Aurasound_NS15-992-4A_80L_closedBox-LT.JPG
    Aurasound_NS15-992-4A_80L_closedBox-LT.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 214
+11.36dB is pretty close to a 4:1 LF gain.

But 640W into 40hm as the LF power limit results in 47W of unequalised (midband) power.

What would be the typical average listening level if these two peak level power limits applied (640W at LF and 47W at midband and above)?

Hi Andrew,

:eek:You are right, I wrote 160W available at the midband but of course is should only be 640/(10^11.36/10) = 46.8 ~ 47W.:D
This input produces about 104 dB at 80 Hz so the sub must be placed near a wall/corner for to in actual use be able to produce SPL's above 106 dB.:)

b

Hi Andrew,

:eek:You are right, I wrote 160W available at the midband but of course is should only be 640/(10^11.36/10) = 46.8 ~ 47W.:D
This input produces about 104 dB at 80 Hz so the sub must be placed near a wall/corner for to in actual use be able to produce SPL's above 106 dB.:)

b

I simmed that one out in WinISD, and I must admit it looks quite nice.

However I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere (yet). Is it still produced?

Hi klankymen,

Just saw that they were no more available at Madisound but I think a member here at diyAudio 'thadman' still might have a few on sale:

The BEST drivers available at ANY price, HUGE FS! RAAL, Beyma, Aurasound, AE and more - DIYMA.com

b

Thanks, might be quite pricey shipping to Germany (for me) / to Australia (for the OP). I was hoping you might know a European distributor.

No real worries yet though, this is more of a winter project for me, but I thought I'd chime in while the thread is here.

Oh, I just discovered something myself.

How about a pair of Precision Devices PD.1550 together in a single 80l box? These get pretty close to the performance of a single Aurasound (according to my quick WinISD sims), and cost less as well. Also they are available in Europe, though this unfortunately does not help the Australian OP.

Does however require a lot more EQ (I'm looking at -19dB of gain here to flatten it out), although with a pair you have 100dB sensitivity, so it's not too bad.

Or the 18" model (PD.1850) (-14dB of EQ), has more xmax, though it may be too big for the OP's intended enclosure. FWIW, 80l is about a 50cm external cube, so an 18" driver should be mountable, solong as you're willing to stay fairly cubic, and not looking for something long and thin.

After applying all EQ (Linkwitz Transform, 20Hz first order high pass, low pass around 80Hz) and as much power as can be applied without exceeding XMax or Pe, I'm looking at about 105dB for the dual 15s, and 105dB for the 18, both -3dB at 20Hz. This requires 550W for the dual 15s, 350W for the 18, in both cases at right around 16Hz, so it's rather unlikely levels at that freq will ever be high enough to need that much power. By 20Hz the apparent load power is down to 460W / 300W, and falls quickly with rising frequency.

EDIT: I'm looking to be using digital EQ, so -19dB of gain isn't a problem for me - it may of course be a problem to achieve with some EQs, such as the one the OP plans to use.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a 15 with reasonable xmax to load into a fairly small enclosure of ~80L with EQ. I have a BASH 500W amp with EQ, and a standalone EQ unit as well.

It'll be used for LFE 80% of the time, perhaps music very occasionally. It seems tough to find a large driver that works well in a fairly small enclosure.

Looking for recommendations. Thanks guys.
Exodus Tempest 15-II

Attached sims are for 80L net unstuffed box with 1kW, so drop output by 3dB and Xmax to about 19mm.

Attachments

• Exodus Tempest X15-2 80L sealed FR.gif
    Exodus Tempest X15-2 80L sealed FR.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Exodus Tempest X15-2 80L sealed X.gif
    Exodus Tempest X15-2 80L sealed X.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 135
Hey, you're right, that's not too bad at all. I'm getting around ~10b down at 20Hz, which might be the best yet. With a bit of room gain and a 6db boost it might be pretty darn good. 14mm xmax is fine, I think. I'm not looking to set any records here - apart from "smallest 15" enclosure" haha

Hey, you're right, that's not too bad at all. I'm getting around ~10b down at 20Hz, which might be the best yet. With a bit of room gain and a 6db boost it might be pretty darn good. 14mm xmax is fine, I think. I'm not looking to set any records here - apart from "smallest 15" enclosure" haha

Even with that somewhat modest XMax, it could still get you 102dB at 20Hz, which is pretty nice for my needs as well.

Thanks for the recommendation theAnonymous1, and sorry for hijacking your thread, gaijinmike.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.