I2S from Philips cd player..Cd 304..etc etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I'm referring to an old thread on this forum..tapping I2S from a cd..exactly it was a Cd 940..

I would like to do the same with something like a CD304 MK II..or similars with CDM1..

What do i need to pull out I2S signals..?

I tried to contact the members from the past thread (Elso Kwak..and others..), but without any reply..

Some one can help me?

Thanks and regards from Italy.

Maurizio.

I would like to do the same with something like a CD304 MK II..or similars with CDM1..

Watch out, there aren't many players that are similar to the Philips CD304 Mk2. Most of the players that used a CDM-1 also used the SAA70x0 chipset. If you want to get I2S from a CDM-1 CD player, make sure to get one with the SAA72x0 chipset. The following players that I know fit this criteria are:

- Philips CD304 Mk2
- Philips CD960
- Marantz CD-94
- Studer A727

There are probably a few more, but the combination of the CDM-1 laser mechanism and the SAA72x0 chipset was a rare one.

If you get hold of one of the above players, tapping the I2S is easy. Use either the DAAB, CLAB and WSAB pins on the SAA7210 if you want to go the NOS route, or the DABD, CLBD and WSBD pins on the SAA7220 if you prefer oversampling.

Actualy none of the players with SAA7220 and TDA 1541 have that format.

Every single player using a SAA7220 uses I2S, as that is the only input or output format that IC accepts / provides. Not all players using a TDA1541 use I2S, but most do.

then..which cdm transport could be better..

Thanks to all for the reply..

I'm don't have to much experience about the topic..but..thinking to prepare a philips mechanics skills..wich one on the 1st place..the 2nd..etc etc..

CDM4..is still a goos transport?

From one late post..i got a scheme from Elso Kwak about I2S tapping..i post it..is it needed after the decoder..?

It is better to reclock the decoder..? Or upgrade the existing one with a new one from Tent..Kwak..or..others?

Thanks.

Maurizio.

Attachments

• i2s-direct-sm.gif
    i2s-direct-sm.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 490
I wish I understood what you'ze guyz are talking about, suffice it to say I'm out of my league in knowledge of this subject, but I have a Studer A 727 and would like to know if there are any upgrades I can do. It sounds so open, warm rich and smooth as it is, bringing me closer to the beloved Moving Coil sound I remember from my old AudioQuest AQ-404 cartridge than any other CD playing set up I've heard, but if there's better I want to know about it!

Old thread, I know... :eek:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.