Omni-directional for live performance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like an omni-directional speaker for use in live performance (primarily keyboards and electronics).

Here are some design goals:

-Capable of handling signals from keyboard/laptop
-Omni-directional so it excites the room in ways similar to acoustic instrument
-Integrated digital amplifier (perhaps from 41hz.com kit or similar)
-Simple design
-Loud enough for live use
-As small and lightweight as possible

I have not built speakers before, though I have built various guitar effects pedals and the like and can read schematics and solder. I am a musician, but I have not found anything quite like what I want, so I'd like to build something.

What advice do you have? Thanks a lot.

Tendencially difficult, i guess, since for omnidirectional behaviour you need small drivers without waveguides or horns and for live performance (higher spl) you need big drivers with waveguides or horns.

For a hifi omni design, check siegfried linkwitz homepage... i think its called pluto.

If it's truly omnidirectional, I see tons of feedback issues down the road if you have any microphones :)
Yes, I had thought of that...I don't currently have plans to use microphones. Perhaps occasionally electro-magnetic pickups, but probably not air microphones.

Some people use these hemispheres:

Electrotap - Hemisphere

But it seems like there could be a more elegant solution.

Thanks for the ideas. For simplicity, one full-range would probably be easiest. For example,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/131989-small-speaker-based-tb-3-bamboo.html

Though I'd probably want a more efficient speaker and one with better bass response.

My current keyboard amp has these specs:

Power Amplifier – 50-watts RMS/channel, (100-watt RMS total)
Speakers – Two 8” Eminence Alpha, 125-watt, 8 ohms
Horns – Two 80-watt 3.5X3.5 Ferro cooled dynamic
Frequency Responses – 70-17 kHz
Crossover – 3 kHz

Ignoring stereo for the moment, what would one suggest for components?

Would it be possible (or advisable) to build something like the PVC design above though with a larger, more efficient speaker?

Suggestion:
Take a really large fullrange driver with high Fs and a very strong motor (e.g. Ciare CH321) and pack it in an ML-pipe with length ^= quarter wavelength of the driver's Fs (130 cm for the Ciare).
A diffusor cone on top, of course.
Thanks for the suggestion. While that may sound quite nice, I worry that it would be larger and heavier than what I need (I'm going to be carrying this around in addition to keyboard, laptop, etc.). Ideally the speaker would be around 20 lbs. (9 kg) or less and fairly small. Is this a pipe dream? (Pardon the pun).

Thanks for the ideas. For simplicity, one full-range would probably be easiest. For example,

Small speaker based on TB 3" bamboo

Though I'd probably want a more efficient speaker and one with better bass response.

The problem with wanting better bass means you'll need a bigger driver, and a bigger driver will no longer be omni directional at high frequencies without a diffuser.

Ideally the speaker would be around 20 lbs. (9 kg) or less and fairly small. Is this a pipe dream?

All depends on what compromises you are willing to accept. Try an answer these questions.

How loud do they need to be? (compared to your keyboards current speakers)
How heavy? (already answered - 9kg)
How low do they have to go? (a specific hz would be nice)
How large can the be?
How much are you willing to spend?

Last edited:
Don't ever use an omni in a live venue! Many live venues tend to be reverberant and an omni will agravate this situation immensely.

Unless you are trying to hide your playing in the reverberation.:)
Well, as a lot of playing I do is electro-acoustic free improvisation, a good venue will be a decent sounding room, and my point in doing this is to engage the acoustics of the room as an acoustic instrument wood.

Considering that the "average" of fundamentals only extends to just below 5 kHz..

Perhaps a Visaton B200 inverted and used as as a "walsh" driver in a 1.5 to 2 cubic foot aperiodic vented cabinet? (..and it could be made from cardboard "pipe".) EDIT: actually I think a custom "flight" case (with ABS panels) would be pretty nice.. top that removes to reveal the B200, ect.. (about a 9 inch square opening that's about 33 inches in length including the 4 inch removable top - with "wheels" and a collapsable luggage handle.)

If you want to go really loud (and lower in freq.) then use a subwoofer with a high-pass filter for the B200. (..which is also more portable.)

Last edited:
The problem with wanting better bass means you'll need a bigger driver, and a bigger driver will no longer be omni directional at high frequencies without a diffuser.

All depends on what compromises you are willing to accept. Try an answer these questions.

How loud do they need to be? (compared to your keyboards current speakers)
Ideally roughly as loud, though not quite as loud wouldn't be terrible -- I generally never go above 8 on the volume.

How heavy? (already answered - 9kg)
Some leeway here, but, yes, around that weight or less would be ideal.

How low do they have to go? (a specific hz would be nice)
60Hz, I'd say.

How large can the be?
Ideal would be maybe 8" x 8" x 30" or smaller. I'm going to be carrying this on the subway with keyboards, laptop, and other sensors.

How much are you willing to spend?
$350? Though again, the less the better. :)

I know these put some constraints on what I'm able to do, but I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Suggestion:
Take a really large fullrange driver with high Fs and a very strong motor (e.g. Ciare CH321) and pack it in an ML-pipe with length ^= quarter wavelength of the driver's Fs (130 cm for the Ciare).

Thanks for the suggestion. While that may sound quite nice, I worry that it would be larger and heavier than what I need (I'm going to be carrying this around in addition to keyboard, laptop, etc.). Ideally the speaker would be around 20 lbs. (9 kg) or less and fairly small. Is this a pipe dream? (Pardon the pun).
OK, this is roughly what was done in the 3" Tang Band design above, correct? Since the Fs of that driver is 105Hz, the quarter wavelength is about 32", just longer than the 30" long pipe used.

Anyways, I could imagine a similar design with a larger driver working for my application, as the PVC is lightweight. I could live with a relatively tall speaker as long as it were not too heavy.

However, assuming I were to pursue a similar design, the main issue seems to be the power rating of the drivers. The Eminence Alphas that are in my current keyboard amp seem to be rated at 125W RMS / 250W music, whereas even the Fostex FE206Ens are only 30W / 90W music. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Here are some design goals:
-Omni-directional so it excites the room in ways similar to acoustic instrument

There are a number of acoustic instruments which are not omni-directional.
For example all wind instruments are directional, a grand piano is only omni- directional if the lid is closed, drums (other than bass drums ie kick-, kettle-drums and floor toms may be) are directional, string instruments have sound holes from which the bulk of sound emanates added to that the player masks a lot of the other, spurious output etc.
In fact I have problems thinking of an instrument which actually is omni directional, well a triangle might be and the largest organ pipes due to their fundamental frequency.

There are a number of acoustic instruments which are not omni-directional.
For example all wind instruments are directional, a grand piano is only omni- directional if the lid is closed, drums (other than bass drums ie kick-, kettle-drums and floor toms may be) are directional, string instruments have sound holes from which the bulk of sound emanates added to that the player masks a lot of the other, spurious output etc.
In fact I have problems thinking of an instrument which actually is omni directional, well a triangle might be and the largest organ pipes due to their fundamental frequency.
While it is true that many instruments are not omni-directional, many are multi-directional, or at the least not uni-directional.

The import of this perhaps becomes most obvious when integrating electric instruments (electric guitar) with acoustic instruments in an acoustic setting. Immediately the sound becomes an issue -- if the guitar amp is not positioned well, half the band won't hear the guitar; the easy thing to do is then to turn the amp up, which then, depending upon where one is listening, destroys the acoustic balance of the group.

Similarly with a keyboard as opposed to a piano. When playing the piano, the sound that I hear is fairly close to what the rest of the band hears. Whereas oftentimes when playing keyboard, I think I'm very loud when other musicians find it hard to hear me.

So again, while pure omni-directionality may not be the ultimate goal, a move a way from severe directionality is desired.

Considering that the "average" of fundamentals only extends to just below 5 kHz..

Perhaps a Visaton B200 inverted and used as as a "walsh" driver in a 1.5 to 2 cubic foot aperiodic vented cabinet? (..and it could be made from cardboard "pipe".) EDIT: actually I think a custom "flight" case (with ABS panels) would be pretty nice.. top that removes to reveal the B200, ect.. (about a 9 inch square opening that's about 33 inches in length including the 4 inch removable top - with "wheels" and a collapsable luggage handle.)
In this design would it be advisable to have a tweeter to make up for the loss of highs by placing the B200 off axis?

And, relating to my earlier question, would the B200 be able to handle power from an instrument amp?

Suggestion:
Obviously I've been thinking a lot more about this.

If I could use a slightly smaller / lighter speaker, this might make sense. The Ciares seem to be able to handle higher watts than many other full ranges I've been coming across. The Ciare CH 250 looks promising.

1) Are there sources for Ciare in the US? I haven't been able to find many.

2) If not, are there suitable alternatives? High efficiency, wide frequency response, large power handling, not ridiculously heavy or expensive. The closest I've found is this: Beyma Speakers - Beyma 12GA50 fullrange speaker - Beyma 12GA50 500 watt 12" fullrange speaker for lead or bass guitar, organ and loudspeaker applications. Beyma 12GA50 fullrange speakers here.

3) Assuming I locate an appropriate full-range, to be pointed up with a diffuser above, what would be the simplest way to construct a suitable enclosure? At all advisable to use PVC or sonotube?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.