cartridge for RB251?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, I caved in. After several people urged me to get back into LP replay ('it's a male thing, you know'), I bought a used TecnoDec with an RB251 arm.
Next is to get a cartridge, simple, entry level, so I can get used to this type of music enjoyment again ;)

I was thinking to start with a DL103, but then read that the '103 'likes a heavier arm'. No idea whether the RB251 is a heavy or light arm, no info I can find on the 'net.

Is the DL103 a good match for the RB251? Is the RB251 a heavy arm, good for mating with low compliance cartridges?

What do you think?

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
What about one of the Rega carts ? I have an Elys 2 nib with the 3 point mounting for the rega arm. I have a brand new 103 as well but you would need a much heavier arm than a Rega. I run a 103 in an old ATP12 and it sounds superb. I am selling off a lot of my analogue gear before I move.

The Elys is a MM isn't it?
Anyway, you confirmed that tha RB251 and the DL103 are not a good match, correct?

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, weight could be a problem. I know that Lyras and Benz works very well in the Rega arm.
I usually do not trust cartridges that are MM though. I never found one that has the energy and openness of MC.
Maybe you find a used Ortophon MC that is in good shape.
They usually have a neutral balance.

Well I was impressed by your Lyra but it's bit above my budget. Maybe I'll find a good used one. There's a lot of trade in used Benz cartridges I noted.

jd

Why no DL-103

Am listening to Bill Evans thru a RB-250 and DL-103 as i type this.Added two - 2.5g weights plus a bit of BlueTac between cart and headshell. 2.5 grams VTF leaves the standard small counterweight at the far end of the arm ,anti-skate is set at about 1/2 gram. Plays everything on the HiFi News test disc.Most of my records are warped and this combo doesn't seem to have any particular problem tracking them.
I will admit it probably took a good 50 hours before my ears were used to this arm/cart. My experience with this cart is it does sound a lot better thru a SUT @40ohms compared to just feeding it into a 133 ohm MC gain stage.Initially had the arm set high - needed to bring it down dramatically to where the top of the cart was roughly parallel with the record surface (lined 3X5 " index card was helpful here) -KK was right.
My only real gripe is that it does seem to have a magic ability to pick up a nice matt of fuzz off of used records ( more time with the RCM).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK I start to understand the issues of arm mass in combination of the cart compliance. That was helpful.
Still, not having any cartridge currently it seems better to go for a good combination at the outset.
I'm picking up my TecnoDec with the RB251 this weekend. I'll see what cartridge the guy uses, but he won't sell it.

jd

I'm interested in trying the Doric on my P3 with the RB300 arm. Joachim, amongst your prolific number of circuits posted elsewhere there must be a suitable pre_pre amp for my tube preamp along with a solidstate version to compare to the tube using a line level input all of course with the powersupply. Sorry for being lazy i was trying to find them on the other thread but you are too busy!! :D

Ps used Doric low hours on audiogon approx USD$600

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that is a good choice. In the old days i was a happy owner of an MC20.
I like that your new Cartridge has a fine line needle. Needs really good adjustment though.
The parameters ( 0.35mV, 7 Ohm) are not much different from my Lyras so my phonostages will work well. Compliance is ok too for the Rega.

Yes fine line needle. VDH would probably kill me if he knew ;)

jd

These carts I have found decent enough with an RB300 (so they should work just as well with a 251):

* Goldring 1042 - very sensitive to phono amp capacitance, I had best results with 120p (+ cable capacitance). Nice round and full sound, lots of "slam", wide soundstage.
* Ortofon VM Silver - same league as the 1042, but different sound. Fritz Gyger 70 stylus, needs careful setup. Hardly any audible inner groove distortion, very well-defined (if somewhat small) sound stage with pin-point imaging. Slightly bright.
* Denon DL160 - budget cracker. Good stylus with little inner groove distortion. Extremely large sound stage with good tonal colours. Not the most "musically agile" cart, but also never completely disappoints. Low output MC, works with standard MM stages. Input impedance should be lower than the normal 47K, in my system 3K worked great.

I did not like the 440MLa (seemed to trigger arm resonances) or the Benz Micro Gold (dito).

Best,
Oliver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.