Daisy Chain Monitor Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am a musician, not a technician. I have a wiring problem.
I have 2 monitor speakers that were home built by someone. They have only 1 (one) 1/4" input jack each. I want to install a 2nd 1/4" jack to each so I can daisy chain them.

I don't know how. I can buy the 2 extra jacks and install them but I am not sure how to wire them.

The 1/4" jacks that are installed on each monitor have 2 wires. Let's call them A & B.

This must seem like the most simple question ever asked here but I turn to you for help.

Many thanks,
Parke Saffer

before you do this, you need to consider whether the driving amplifier can handle the extra load.

if so, you can wire your second jack in parallel with the first. The speakers must be in phase, i.e. wire A to wire A, wire B to wire B.

Last edited:
You need to know the typical impedance and minimum impedance of the monitors, and also how you amplifier is rated in 2ohm 4 ohm and 8 ohm. If you amp is stable in 2 ohm, you can easily connect the speakers in parallel. If you amp is only stable in 4 ohm, your speaker need to be 8 ohm.

The safest way to connect the monitors is in series connection, but that is generally not the best sounding connection of speakers.

(it doesent have to be a low frequency driver, you can apply the connections to normal speaker binding posts as well - in you case the 1/4" jacks)
impspksr.gif

series connection (above)
parallel connection (below)
impspkpr.gif

link to above
Series Parallel Speaker Impedance

Last edited:
Daisy Chain Monitor Speakers (Response to Reply)

Thank you for the illustration. I have a little more information now along with another question.

The audio mixer I use is a YamahaEMX512SC. It has a 500W amp for the mains and another 500W for the monitors. The mixer output is maximum 500W 4 Ohms. (Printed on the back)

I opened the two monitor cabinets and found a 2 wire setup in each. Instead of 2 wires that run straight from the 1/4" jacks directly to the 12" speakers, I negelcted to say there is a small horn also connected in between.

The setup is descibed as:
1/4" female jack with 2 wires connected directly to the horns.
Then, 2 wires connected directly from the horns to the speakers.

I am unable to determine impedence. The horns are round at the base (magnet?) and rectangular at the outside visible part. The round part is 3" across and the plastic horn part measures 3" tall X 7" wide.

Tha main speakers measure 5" across at the round base X 12" across on the outside. Unfortunately, that is all the information I have because none of the speakers have labels or a stamps anywhere.

I hope this is enough information for educated guess. The monitors are not pro audio gear. I will go with whatever configuration you think would be best with the limited specs I have offered. I'm basically looking for something that will work.

Thanks a lot for your time and interest.

Parke Saffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.