worth buying a blown profile california 2000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those are possibly IRFP064s and are the power supply FETs.

The power supply in an amp can fail alone but many times, it's due to something else failing, generally the output transistors.

Did the description say that only one channel works or are both channels out?

If both channels are out, expect to replace 8 of the IRFP064s and a dozen output transistors (possibly TIP35Cs and TIP36Cs). It's possible that you may only have to replace the 4 FETs in the photo but 'expect' to have to replace many more. It may cost $50 or more in parts to find that it's difficult to repair and possibly not worth the effort (in which case, you lose $60 or more).

The reason I warn against the cost of repair is that it would seem that if you're concerned about $10, the additional cost may be more than you're willing to spend.

It always bothers me when someone else has taken the amp apart before selling it as a "repair" amp. I always look for the ones that "have no idea what wrong, it powers up but then goes into protect", or "have no idea whats wrong, it pops fuses". I tend to stear away from buying amps that have already been dug through, no telling what's missing.....

My two cents.....

you know i never thought of that but he didnt say he started messing with it just took it apart

the ad says

profile california 2000 watt car amplifier.
I believe a little bit of water caused this amp to short circuit.
I took it apart and took a few pictures that I can email if you would like.

im gonna check it out in person and see if any thing was touched other than the heat sinks or if anything is els crispy and ask him how many channels went out

you know i never thought of that but he didnt say he started messing with it just took it apart

the ad says

profile california 2000 watt car amplifier.
I believe a little bit of water caused this amp to short circuit.
I took it apart and took a few pictures that I can email if you would like.

im gonna check it out in person and see if any thing was touched other than the heat sinks or if anything is els crispy and ask him how many channels went out

If he's saying that it was possibly damamged by water it could very well be a bad buy, especially if the amp was in use when it got wet. I would pass it up simply because I already have too many "not worth fixing" amps cluttering up my "shop".

Its always a risk, I bought a JL 300 4ch and the water was still running out of the amp when it arrived. Everything in it was corroded. The guy said it was in his car and the protect light lit up with power. Well his car must have drove into a lake. He said nothing about water, and epay did nothing about it because he said it didn't work. No, I never tried to put power to it and see if the LED actually lit up. The board might be ok or repairable, but the controls are not good and who knows what else. But $10 is about as cheap as the get unless you find free amps, so I'm not sure why you are asking....you never know what you will find in a blown amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.