Using DVC woofers as 2 seperate woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I want to do a project with some tang bands, and was thinking about using either the 3" or 4" TB's as a full range driver in a open baffle/dipole type enclosure. This would make the TB's only good down to about 200 Hz or so. Now I also wanted to add a powered subwoofer to the enclosure (this would be enclosed) for a little more umph, this would be the gaming/tv system. Now I have a gap from 200 Hz to 80 Hz. So can I use a DVC 10" or so and use one coil with a passive low pass at about 200 Hz and then use the other coil to connect to the plate amp?

See what I'm saying? I know I could just use two seperate drivers, but if I'd rather use one to save space.

But at the same time looking around at PartsExpress I see they only carry the GOLDWOOD 10" DVC @ $19.50 or the Dayton 12" DVC @ $119.80 .
I really like the quality of the Daytons,so maybe it would be more practical to just use the regular Dayton 10" Woofer @ $22.40 and have two on each side. Anyone ever use Goldwood woofers before? Would it not matter as much since the driver is only cover ~200Hz

OK, you seem to have latched on to impractical solutions.

Your 1st suggestion, of feeding sub-80Hz to one VC and 80HZ-200Hz to the other VC will not be even as good as simply feeding all sub-200Hz to both voice coils. Instead of building a passive crossover between the Tangband and a woofer, build a passive line level crossover to split up the feed between your main amp and your sub amp. This will probably even cost less, and you still wind up with the same overall size.

Your 2nd suggestion of using 2 identical 10" drivers to cover these 2 bass ranges is also off kilter. Take the same pot of money, and split it up between different driver types, and see what you can come up with. If you like Dayton, you have a wide range to work with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.