Exile Audio XPE12 12" Subwoofer 600W RMS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this sub for a VERY good price and i received it today, looking at the sub it has 2 power ports rather than just one. not like positive and negative but theres positive and negative plugs then on the other side theres another set of plugs. why is there 2 i would like to know and i would also like to know if this is a decent sub especially for 33 dollars cad.

Hello newtonty, without a picture, I really can't say, but from what you are describing, it's a dual voice coil subwoofer. Basically, you have one voice coil for right channel and one voice coil for the left channel of your amp. Of course if you only have a mono amp, and the left and right channels are summed before the power amp, then you can wire the two voice coils in series or parallel, then connect that combination to the output of the amp. However when you do this you have to remember not to exceed the minimum impedance that the amp can handle. If you wire the two voice coils in series, then you get double the impedance of a single voicecoil. If you wire them in parallel, you get 1/2 the impedance of a voicecoil. Most amps can handle an impedance that is double, but many will have issues with a impedance that is halved.
So, show us a picture, and some more spec's on the particular subwoofer, and we can help more.

Peace,

Dave

Here's the link to the manual for your XPE12

There are actually two models the XPE12(single voice coil) and the XPE12D(dual voice coil) - my guess is that they use all the same parts for both subs(other than the second VC and if you have just the XPE12(single voice coil) there is just no connection for the second set of binding posts.

If the driver specifications are right (which i have never found yet with any advertised specs for car subs :rolleyes:) you have got a bargain :D

Just don't go stuffing 600W RMS into it though, take it from me that copper resistance & glue etc hasn't really changed that much over the years & maybe 200W RMS continuous might be more realistic. It's only got a 2.5" voicecoil after all...

I would first wire them in series to see if that's loud enough and go to parallel only if it's not. A higher impedance is usually better for the amp and running them in parallel is not a huge increase in volume. Still I would check the Re with a multitester and make sure that each coil is no lower than about 3.5 ohms before paralleling them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.