• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Filament winding wire diameter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is one that I found. Max values.
Solid core, 0.6mm @ 1.5A
1mm @ 3A
1.7mm @ 4.5A
2mm @ 6A
That is diameter of the conductor, there are American Gauge to Millimeter conversion tables available.
Doing a two to one safety margin I would opt for the 2mm version for your 3A load.

__________________________________________________________Rick....

The values I found are from 'Morgan Jones, Valve amplifiers First edition?' Morgan Doesn't cite a footnote for these values so I will assume the "standard", 'common' copper conductors. Forgive me my ignorance but is OFC 'Oxygen free conductor'??? I thought "Oxygen free" refers to the insulation cladding being applied in an oxygen free environment. An attempt to keep the conductor/insulator interface from acquiring corrosion. As such does it have a "better" conducting value keeping conductor values constant?
I think there are other factors at play when winding different diameter windings independent of turns.....not to mention filling up the "window" in the I/E frame.

_______________________________________________________Rick....

transformers are often wound with copper areas that give ~3A/sqmm

on this basis :
1mm diam= 0.785sqmm = 2.4Aac.
1.4mm diam = 1.54sqmm = 4.7Aac.
1.6mm diam = 2.01sqmm = 6Aac.
2mm diam = 3.14sqmm = 9.4Aac.

The resistance of pure copper is near enough the same as oxygen free copper.
The area required for the same voltage drop and for the same power dissipation is the same.

Last edited:
The values I found are from 'Morgan Jones, Valve amplifiers First edition?' Morgan Doesn't cite a footnote for these values so I will assume the "standard", 'common' copper conductors. Forgive me my ignorance but is OFC 'Oxygen free conductor'???
I think there are other factors at play when winding different diameter windings independent of turns.....not to mention filling up the "window" in the I/E frame.

_______________________________________________________Rick....

Should have checked with old Morgan...

Oxygen-free copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ Andrew: thanks a lot! This is very helpful :p

Cheers - Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.