hifonics olympus vii dirty/faulty pots?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just got one of these, bought as faulty as a little project. so i powered it up and got sound, not bad so far until i attempt to adjust gain and i get very loud interference then it shut down.

now if i adjust the gain before i power up to suit it's ok and plays cleanly except for the occasional high noise floor that seams to be from the pots..

are these known for bad pots?

Hey Marko, How ya been ?:):)

Try giving it a cleaning with contact cleaner. If this does not resolve the noise issue then you need a gain pot my friend....;)

Oh and no these were not really known for bad pots I think you got a golden oldy and its just dirty due to age and exposure...

hi Cecil, long time no speak! yeah i'm fine over here, just in the middle of re-doing my install then the postie dropped this on my doorstep today :D

for some reason i've got a hunch that there's possibly a bad solder under the pots, it's strange how both pots for front and rear channels exhibit the same symptoms, i've known amsp to have scratchy pots before but my god it's like a clap of thunder when you so much a s touch them :eek:

tomorrow i may take the board out and put some fresh solder over the joints and see what happen..

how do you clean pots anyway? i tried the usual "spin them frantically" for a minute or so but this didn't work :eek:

If they are sealed up you will need to drill or melt a small hole in the case to spray cleaner inside them. If they have a semi open frame just find a opening and spritz away.
Then spin back and forth like mad and then spray again. A friend of mine from south of the border use to use silicone spray like WD-40. I can't subscribe to this but he said it worked just fine for him. I use contact cleaner myself.

But pot replacement is always the best. Unless its Autotek gain pots where they charge $18.00 each for them :eek: Perhaps ZED audio can sell or tell you where they can be had for reasonable..

I have seen some bad solder issues also but more often then that was a broken pot lead. These things do get a lot of use it seems.

Its nice to see you around....C;)

good news! i took the board out and resolderd the pots on then cleaned the pots out (there is a small hole :)) and the amp works flawlesly now :cool:

maybe i didn't need to resolder the pots but i did, i cleaned them twice, the 1st time almost cured it but the 2nd time hit the nail on the head! just had it blasting out in the garage on my old kefs and it sounds so good and powerful, i should do a direct comparison between this and the series viii i have, i swear this one sounds better :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.