Spring loaded Dust Cover Hinges for homebrew DIY Record Players Turntables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are good quality lid hinges for "do it yourself" record players?
I want to have a good overview.

I have found some examples, but I don't know about quality:

Ferrari Cabinet Hinge.Ferrari Cabinet Hinge Manufacturers,Ferrari Cabinet Hinge Made In China& Ningbo Suppliers,Exporters,factories and distributors,Ferrari Cabinet Hinge product. (special Design)
CMD.AL - Scharnier (ecial Design)
Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support, Champagne Finish - Rockler Woodworking Tools (Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support, Champagne Finish)

GUANYA GLASS HARDWARE (suited for glasssp)
Welcome to Ebco :: Hinges (suited for glass)

Industrial Knobs,Industrial Pull Handles,Industrial Hinges,PC Glass,India (Plastic)
Connecting Clamps - Suppliers of T Clamps and T Bolt Clamps from ultraplastindia.com (Plastic)
Sugatsune -Detent Hinges|Hinge(with catch) (Plastic)
** ACRYLIC HINGES HIGHEST QUALITY ** Remarkable Reputation with Plastic Fabrication Industry s Fabricators and Distributors (Acryl)
Small Plastic hinges, acrylic hinges, and acrylic and urethane continuous hinge from FTM, Inc., The Fabricators' Source (Acryl)

Tru-Close Hinges | Spring Loaded Self Closing Gate Hardware (self close)
Sugatsune -Spring Hinges|SPRING LOADED BUTT HINGE (Spring loaded)
Federscharniere, lange Scharniere, kleine Scharniere / PINET (Federscharniere)
Sugatsune -Detent Hinges|Detent Hinge with or without damper (Damper Hinge, design)

And there you will find overviews about a wide range of hinges - mostly cabinet hinges:
Detent hinges - SUGATSUNE-KOGYO-CO-LTD - Hinge, Latch
Cabinet hinge Manufacturers & Suppliers
Hinges Manufacturers & Suppliers

Attachments

• hinge 1.jpg
    hinge 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 497
  • hinge 2.jpg
    hinge 2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 459
  • hinge 3.jpg
    hinge 3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 441
  • hinge-damper 382465.jpg
    hinge-damper 382465.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 523
  • Hinge Tru Close.jpg
    Hinge Tru Close.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 464
  • Hinge detend.jpg
    Hinge detend.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 82
  • hinge 4.jpg
    hinge 4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 93
  • hinge 5.jpg
    hinge 5.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 105
  • hinge 6.jpg
    hinge 6.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 91
  • hinge csh_3.jpg
    hinge csh_3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I've seen hinges similar to most of those posted used on OEM players.

There is a problem, however, that isn't addressed in your inquiry.
The spring must be capable of holding the dust cover open, yet allow it to rest closed.

In operation, it must be smooth and not jar the table (ie if you lost grip on the dust cover half-way; would it fall with a crash or sit there, or gently sink towards the plinth, etc) ... delicate cartridge cantilevers are expecting this.

I'm not sure the info you are looking at is sufficient to determine any of these issues.

What exact spring you need will depend on the mass of the dust cover itself (and, apparently, the moment arm distance). If you can find some where the spring tension is adjustable that would help.

You could also look at gas shocks; again some experimentation would probably be necessary. I have a local surplus store that carries a wide variety of gas shocks inexpensively, so that's easier for me to play with.

The Lid-Stay unit seems suitable as far as determining the above parameters and the calculator at the hinge description is along the lines of what you need. But, the ones linked are made for thicker material than the average dust cover. Plus, they're expensive.

Some measuring and experimentation is probably in order. You should try to get away with just two hinges if possible. You can always add mass to your DIY dust cover but removing it is more problematic, so too light a spring is probably not a good starting point.

I would probably start by trying to hunt down some calculators or formulas for determining the spring rates you need. I looked at the JavaScript for the calculator at Lid-Stay but didn't see an obvious function that does the actual math.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.